Bible Verses With Lost Meaning

5 More Common Bible Verses That Have Lost Some Of Their Meaning

Sometimes when verses are used a lot and they can seem to become commonplace and lose some of their meaning.

309
Photo by Aaron Burden on Unsplash

This article's intent is not to point out verses that are out of context, but rather bring back the full meaning and depth back to some more popular verses.

1 Samuel 16:7

Photo by Aaron Burden on Unsplash

7But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." - 1 Samuel 16:7

In a world filled with discrimination on the outward appearance, whether it be skin color, body type or looks, it's encouraging to know that God doesn't judge us by how we look but rather how we act. The context of this verse is that Samuel was sent by God to Jesse's household to anoint a new King. When Samuel sees the eldest - Eliab, he seems to be the perfect choice to Samuel upon his appearance, but God had a much better choice in mind - David. Even though on the outside, David looked no more than a mere shepherd boy, his heart was devoted to God. God has a tendency of using the person everyone would least expect to show that what's on the outside doesn't define where one's heart is at.

Matthew 22:34 - 40

https://quotefancy.com/quote/1252996/Janet-Jackson-The-greatest-achievement-to-any-human-being-is-to-love-God-yourself-and

34Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. 35One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 36"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" 37Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." - Matthew 22:34-40

The Ten Commandments were the summarization of the law set in place by God. But even with only ten laws, it's was still hard to keep each and every one. This might have been a test for Jesus, but Jesus' response does help narrow the ten commandments to two seemingly more manageable commandments to follow. That might be where most people might stop and think that they can disregard the ten commandments and only follow these two. But, if you think about it, these two are a canopy of the ten commandments, each one can fit under one of these two commandments. Furthermore, Jesus summarizes it even more in John:

15 "If you love me, you will keep my commandments." - John 14:15

If you truly love God, you will want to obey everything he has commanded.

1 Corinthians 10:13

Photo by Joshua Ness on Unsplash

13No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. - 1 Corinthians 10:13

You are not alone in your struggle, whatever it might be. Humans have been around for thousands of years and currently, there are over 7.5 billion people on the earth. There are other people out there that go through the same struggles you do, but whatever it is that you face, know that God is bigger. God will not let you be swallowed up by this hindrance in your life; He knows your struggle and He promises a way out if only you trust that He can and you're willing to do whatever it takes. God provides a way out and as long as you trust in Him, He will not let you take more than you can bear.

Galatians 5:22-23

shop.spreadshirt.com

22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. - Galatians 5:22-23

This is a pretty common verse to see on apparel and merchandise and well it's a verse of truth and not taken out of context, I feel it has lost some of its meaning from its popularity. You might be familiar with the term, 'Fruit of the Spirit', but what does this actually mean? Usually, when we think of fruit, we think of the food, but in this context, fruit means the action or the result of. So with this definition, we can see that fruit of the Spirit means the result of the work of the Spirit which is: love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. So if we have the Spirit in us, then we communicate these attributes.

Philippians 4:6

Photo by Claudia on Unsplash

6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. - Philippians 4:6

The world is a busy place, filled with busy people running to and fro. With busyness comes stress which leads to anxiety and worries; everyone deals with it in some shape and form. But how can one be free from the clutches of worry and anxiousness? The answer is found in relying on God; with all the busyness in our lives, we need to remember to slow down and analyze our situation. Your life is stressful, and God knows that, but he wants you to come to Him, even when you're not feeling your best and present your worries to Him.

7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. - 1 Peter 5:7