Moon Taxi Releases First Album With Major Label

On January 19th, indie-rock icons Moon Taxi, released their new album "Let The Record Play."

383
Suzanna Thallman

If you don’t already know this Moon Taxi (even though you should), here’s a little background info. The band formed in 2006 out of Nashville, TN while attending college at Belmont University. The band consists of 5 members which comprises Tommy Putman on bass, Trevor Terndrup on vocals and guitar, Spencer Thomson on guitar, Tyler Ritter on drums, and Wes Bailey on the keyboard.

Since Moon Taxi was formed they have released five studio albums. My personal favorite would have to be the album titled “Mountains, Beaches, Cities." I also love listening to the live and unplugged sessions as well. Since the release of these 5 albums, Moon Taxi was recently signed to RCA records just last year. If you don’t know anything about the music business, this is a huge deal since this is a major record label. After listening to the new album “Let The Record Play ," it’s clear to me that they have what it takes to be major stars. By getting signed to a major label, it’s obvious that record executives knew that they have what it takes to go to the next level.

Okay so let’s talk about the new album! This is the first album that is being released by RCA, which is like I said a YUGE deal. On May 5th 2017, the band released the single, “Two High” which is featured on the new album. Since the release of the single, it has soared to the top of the streaming charts, coming in with over 60 million streams on Spotify. The single has also had a large impact on SiriusXM, resulting in a large rotation of the song. Something that I found extremely interesting about the single “Two High," is that it was written as a push for peace of the Women’s March last January.

Lead vocalist Trevor Terndrup told Relix Magazine lyrically this is a song about hope, “Hope for understanding, hope for acceptance, and hope for our future. We were inspired by the simple and universal peace sign." The band wanted to convey the message of positivity and relate to the world from their own personal struggles. I think this is exactly why Moon Taxi is meant to be larger than ever imagined as a band. They created a hit single by relating their everyday internal battles to a worldwide issue without incorporating a political standpoint. To me, this is what music is all about. Music is about creating songs that are relatable that shed light on battles we all face and making it known that you are not alone.

Moon Taxi stated that all they want is for people to leave their shows “elated." From my own personal experience seeing the band live at the Bunbury Music Festival this past summer, I can confidently say that they have achieved their goal of fans leaving happy. I also had the pleasure of conducting an interview with guitarist, Spencer Thomson. During the interview, Thomson mentioned that when he listens to new music he looks for something he can connect to emotionally. I think this quote from Thomson totally encapsulates what this single, and album is all about.

The album “Let The Record Play” is available on Spotify and Apple Music. I highly suggest listening to the tracks “Not Too Late” and “Good As Gold." To listen to the exclusive interview I helped conduct with BGSU's on-campus radio station WBGU-FM, with guitarist Spencer Thomson, click the link below!

https://www.facebook.com/wbgufm/videos/10155446699...