Mont Blanc Is At Risk Of Collapse Because Of Climate Change

Mont Blanc Is At Risk Of Collapse And It's All Because Of Climate Change

There is an evacuation of the area due to fears of collapse.

20
Photo by Sarah Desmond

This summer I had the opportunity to visit Mont Blanc, which was a beautiful sight at the borders of Switzerland, Italy, and France. We were able to walk inside the carved out glaciers as a tourist attraction that would also make people aware of how fast the glacier was melting.

There has been a report from the Fondazione Montagna Sicura (Safe Mountains Foundation) that stated that "up to 250,000 cubic meters of ice was in danger of sliding off of the Planpincieux glacier on the Grandes Jorrasses peak."

The mayor of the town underneath the peak stated, "This phenomenon once again testifies that the mountain is in a phase of strong change due to climatic factors, therefore it is particularly vulnerable."

Up until this point, the point has been under careful watch to be able to determine how fast the melting has been occurring, but they did not think that there would be a breakaway this soon.

With the rising temperatures, the glaciers are melting at an uncontrollable rate that has forced many citizens to have to evacuate their homes in order to maintain their safety. The heatwave that ran thorough Europe this summer did not help the accelerating speeds, and there will need to be a drastic change if these features want to be preserved.

I hope that this event serves as a warning to many that without change in our behaviors, no one will be able to enjoy the natural wonders that places like these provide.