10 Ways You Should Spend Your Money And Other Ways You Should NOT

If you're like me, money's tighter than a too-small belt your great uncle Ernest sent you.

485
pexels.com

If you're like me, money's tighter than a too-small belt your great uncle Ernest sent you. However, there's still bills to pay and food to buy, so you're going to have to spend some of it. When spending money, remember that there are some things worth spending more on, and others you don't need to buy at all.

Five things to spend more on:

1. Groceries

Spending a little more for high quality produce, meat, fish, dairy products, and eggs is worth every penny. More nutrients and fewer doctor bills.

2. Fire safety devices

NEVER EVER BUY A USED FIRE EXTINGUISHER. EVER. Doing so could literally be the difference between life and death. Your life and possessions are worth more than saving a couple bucks. The same is true for smoke alarms and sprinkler systems.

3. Housing locations

This is one market where you really do get what you pay for. Don't be strayed by people who make the remark "It's very expensive to live in (insert a place here)." Honestly if where you're living ISN'T expensive, it's then you should be worried. Places that cost less money to live in usually come with a price tag on something else: your health and safety.

4. Housing itself

It might cost more to buy a newer house, but costs of repair pile up quickly too. Spending an extra thousand or so on a house is better than spending an extra ten thousand to get radon, asbestos, or lead paint removed.

5. Vehicular care

See numbers 3 and 4 for more information.

Now that you know what you SHOULD spend more on, let's look at the other side of the scale:

1. Lingerie

What's the point in buying fancy underwear that you're just going to end up discarding once things get steamy in the bedroom?

2. Car washes

$25 a week to get my car washed? No thank you! A bottle of dish soap runs $2.50 at the grocery store and it works just as well as any fancy soap (seriously!)

3. Stuffed animals for babies

Yes I know, you just HAVE to get that big plush bear you saw on Amazon, but what's a baby going to do with it? Nothing. Spend that money on some diapers instead--new moms will thank you!

4. Frozen dinners

See number one on the "#WorthIt" list above

5. Flowers for dates

They wilt within days, trigger pollen allergies, and cost a stinking fortune. Need I say more?