I Am So Thankful For The Strong Women In My Life
popular

They have helped shape who I am today.

3492
personal pic

As a kid, I had three major women in my life: my mom, my grandma, and my bubbie (Yiddish for "grandmother").

I can easily say I am all the better for having these women as my role models for life.

My mom and I didn't get along all that well when I was younger. Cliche as it is, it took me leaving home for college for us to really segue into a much healthier mother-daughter relationship. It also helps that we got a dog a few years ago and became crazy dog moms together who send dog memes and videos back and forth.

My mom is and always has been a powerhouse.

My mom worked a lot and taught me the value of putting in the effort. I learned from her to never settle for less than great, to work hard, and not let people walk all over me. She (and my dad) made sure I knew the value of professionalism and how to be professional. There's a reason I ask them to proofread any important emails before hitting send!

My mom is also a total goof.

This pretty much sums us up!

My sarcasm and humor are unquestionably from her. She's one of the funniest people I know and reminds me not to take everything too seriously. Also, the constant dog and baby videos we send one another are the best.

My grandma is my best friend.

personal photo

Yes, that's possible. It helps that we share a lot of interests. My grandma has always been my number one supporter and as I got older, became someone I rely so much on for emotional support. I can always count on my grandma to make me smile.

My grandma taught me to love unconditionally, even towards those you are not blood-related to.

She is my dad's step-mom and technically my step-grandmother, but you would never know we aren't blood-related with how she whole-heartedly loves her non-biological grandkids just as much as her biological ones. She made her home into a safe space for me in the years I needed that most.

My bubbie taught me that time apart means nothing when it comes to loving someone.

As I've grown older, I don't get to see my bubbie as much. But I know she is always there if I need her, and I know she loves me.

I recently went to dinner with her and was reminded of just why - and how much - I love my grandmother. She's tough and sweet, smart and funny. We spent most of the time talking about everything from family to theater to politics, and it was a highlight moment of my life. I enjoyed it so much.

I am unbelievably lucky to have not one, but two grandmothers who love me in the way only a grandmother can. They give my life a specialness I wouldn't get from anyone else in my life.

I am so lucky to have a mom who I can have a good relationship with and talk to openly. (And who puts up with my unintentional repetition of stories.)

I cannot thank any of these women enough for being involved in my life.

I love you all, and happy Mother's Day!