Your Mom Was Always Right About Everything You Fought About
Moms

Mom, You Were Right — You Were Right About Everything

Now that those teenage years are over, I realize how much you taught me over the years, even when I refused to listen.

526
Mikaela Cok Personal Photo
Mikaela Cok

I never realized how as a teenager how much I disagreed with my mom and how clueless I thought she was about almost anything. I would easily get annoyed if she tried to give me advice on friends, boys, food, and life in general, but now that I'm older I realize she was right about nearly everything.

Thinking back to middle school and high school, and all the days in between school, there were so many fake friends I had, girl issues I had, all these problems I had, and I thought I knew it all, but it's crazy how little I actually knew.

I wish I would have listened when you told me certain people were not true friends because for so long I wanted to believe they were my friends, but you could see how they treated me, and all you ever were was concerned for my happiness and now I know that.

The same with dating too... It's almost like you had some sort of x-ray vision that could see straight through people and who they really were the moment they came around, but not me. I wanted to believe that you just wanted me to be friends and date only certain people you knew. Any guy who even sent one red flag concerned you, because you were looking out for me.

But Mom, you weren't just right about people you were also right about things, such as eating my vegetables and fruits, reading books just for fun, studying hard (because now I'm so much further thanks to you), saving my money for things I need more than things I want.

I know that now and again you made mistakes, just as I have, but it all came down to you caring and loving me from day one, and I wish I realized that then.

I now take your advice gladly, and probably for almost any decision I make. I even find myself now asking for help with outfits, and colors to paint rooms, and you're even right about those things. I know they say wisdom comes with age, but for you, it just came naturally... So how lucky am I to have someone looking out for me every step of the way, making sure I don't make the mistakes you wish you wouldn't have, even if they were big or small.

It must be a superhero power of some sort to have the intelligence you do, and I truly hope I inherit it one day. As I'm sitting here today thinking of this and writing about this, I can't help but think how thankful I am for all your nagging (which at times still gets on my nerves), but now I understand it isn't for your ego or anything along those lines, it has been for me and my life. So Mom, I just wanted to let you know I will always eat my vegetables now, never let someone treat me like dirt, and I'll forever be here for you too.