Mo' Honey Mo' Problems

Mo' Honey Mo' Problems

Bee afraid. Bee very afraid.

106
Mo' Honey Mo' Problems
themuseinthemirror.files.wordpress.com

Coffee. Avocados. Strawberries. Raspberries. Onions. Nuts. Squash. Apples. Tangelos. Nectarines. Whatever category pumpkins fall into.The Black Eyed Peas. These are just a handful of the crops we’ll lose if these guys right here continue to die out.

*Upon further research, it is black eyed peas the food we will lose, not Black Eyed Peas the band*

Did you know that one out of every three mouthfuls of food in the average American’s diet wouldn’t be possible without the help of our good friend, the honey bee? 70% of the one hundred crops we survive on depend on bees. If you were unaware of that fact until now, it should frighten you to know that in 2015 alone, 42% of the United States’ honeybee population was wiped out entirely.

One in every five children live in poverty. 48 million Americans struggle with hunger. That means 48 million Americans may not eat anything today, because their food security is so low.

It goes without saying that we are in no position to lose a major source of food production. If we were to lose bees entirely, that already exorbitant number is going to surge. If anything I’ve told you so far has worried you, don’t worry - you can get involved, and you can make a difference.

How you can help:

1. Bee hydration stations. After a long day of hard work, these little guys get dehydrated, just like you or I would. When you see a bee walking around on the ground, it usually doesn’t mean they’re sick or dying - oftentimes, they’re too thirsty to keep flying. You can help! Take a small, shallow dish - something like a pie pan - and line the bottom with marbles. Put some water in it and leave it outside, and these little guys will land on the marbles, rehydrate themselves, and happily buzz away!

2. Plant native plants. Pollinators love native plants and they help increase pollination. If you aren’t sure what the local plants in your area are, give your state’s native plant society a call! Also you could Google it, which is super convenient.

3. Pesticide-free gardens. As I mentioned, pesticides are a huge risk factor for bees. If you’ve got an outdoor garden filled with fruits, vegetables, and flowers, and NATIVE PLANTS, stay away from pesticides. If the chemicals don’t kill them right off the bat, they weaken a honeybee’s immune system and make it nearly impossible for the little guys to fight off disease.

4. If you’re extra determined to make a difference in the lives of honeybees everywhere, you could become a beekeeper. Local beekeeping associations are more than happy to help newcomers get started, between obtaining the proper equipment as well as your very own bee colony. It’s a time-consuming hobby, but definitely an interesting and fulfilling one.

5. Buy local honey. Local honey in your area comes from the beekeepers nearby. If you’re buying their honey, you’re supporting them financially and allowing them to continue caring for their bee colonies. Also, local honey isn’t loaded with chemicals to give it a lasting shelf life. It even has a different taste everywhere you go, because local honey will take on the taste of your local plants.

*Bonus: Consuming local honey helps improve allergies due to the local pollen it contains. Save the bees and your sinuses!

Bee the change. Save the bees.