Mixing Business With Pleasure Gone Wrong

Ways Mixing Business With Pleasure Can Go Wrong

53
Korey Howell

Have you ever heard of the saying don't mix business with pleasure? I have. There are many reasons as to why having a relationship with someone you work for or with can lead to trouble. Here are my top 5 reasons why it's best to not mix business with pleasure with someone you work with. Sure, you both may not have planned for this venture to be anything serious.... at first.

1. It can be risky and frisky

Having an office romance can be very risky. It's risky businessmen especially if your workplace has a policy on becoming romantically involved with a colleague. There are many things to consider such as that being of you not just seeking to play hard to get attention from a coworker.

2. Everyone will know your business (if you let it happen)

OK so lets say you've engaged in this venture. You start to have some fun here and there but you are also trying to keep it on the DL from your colleagues. You're just not ready to break the news that you are seeing each other. Sure at first it may seem easy to keep this away from someone, but once you get involved that's all it takes. Next thing you know you cant keep your hands off each other at a professional work place and the tension starts to develop.

3. Your coworkers/superior will lose respect for you

Being completely honest. Once your boss is suspicious about employee behavior and once the word gets out that you're seeing your coworker everyone will know your business. Some will judge you whereas others won't care. We also have to admit that the image that others perceived you by will start to fade. Your boss may lose respect for you if he believes that your behavior is unprofessional.

4. You may seek revenge within the work place if you are mad at your beloved (work place revenge)

The last and most important point I must make is that once you mix business with pleasure you will always find yourself defending one another from others or being upset with one another... at work. For example, lets say your significant other did something that really upsets you while you are on the clock. What do you do? Well, like most cases, revenge is sought. You find yourself trying to annoy the other person by perhaps flirting with other coworkers or expressing your disapproval on an argument. Next comes the lashing out and finally, you let your anger get the best of you and start to shout out your significant others deepest secrets or reasons why this person annoys you.

Having a relationship with someone you work with can lead to many issues if there is lack of communication, unprofessionalism, and betrayal. It's understandable that we cannot change who we fall in love with but it's best to reason and think before going ahead with a decision this big. If you are both the type to control yourselves, maintain your love life separate from work, then go ahead and do it! But if you're the type of person that will let a small argument or rumor affect your every day life than it's not recommended to mix business with pleasure.