missing mom at college

10 Ways I Didn't FULLY Appreciate Mom Until Living On My Own In College

RT if you can relate :)

2724
mother and daughter
Avery Owens

Going away to college made me realize a lot about myself and the relationships I left at home. One thing I discovered was how undeserving I am of my mother. Here are some reasons why:

1. She can listen to me cry for hours

I can count numerous times that I have called my mom crying, and she always drops everything she is doing to listen to me. Sometimes I call her to cry about my stressful homework load, sometimes I call her to cry about my dying fish... no matter what the reason may be for my tears, she is the best comforter and she knows exactly what to say.

2. She knows how to motivate me

From the time I was born, my mother has motivated me to be successful. She has taught me that success can be defined differently for everyone. For her, success was being a mother to three children. For me, success can be whatever I dream it to be. No matter what my goals are, she pushes me to achieve them.

3. She knows my love language better than anyone else

Even moving away for college, my mom knows the best ways to make me feel loved. My love language is gift giving (more specifically, handcrafted gifts), and my mother has outdone herself with the care packages that she has sent me. She knows exactly how to make me feel valued, better than anyone else.

4. She has taught me how to be a woman of God

My mother has taught me what being a Proverbs 31 woman looks like in the flesh. She is the most God-fearing, selfless, loving person I know. I strive to be more like her every day.

5. She is the best shopping partner

No one will ever measure up to my mom's shopping abilities. Even if I am not with her, she knows exactly what will look good on me and in what size. Her sometimes brutal honesty isn't what I want to hear, but I'd rather her say it than other people think it.

SEE ALSO: 23 Things You Call Your Mom For In College

6. She encourages me to be the best version of myself daily

She is one of the only people I let point out my flaws. She challenges me to love people the best that I can and to do everything to the best of my abilities. She never lets me settle for less than what I can achieve.

7. She knows my favorite foods

​She knows exactly what to make me, and exactly where I like to eat. She even lets me eat where/what I want to eat over her favorites (if that's not sacrificial love at its finest, I don't know what is).

8. She selflessly loves me

My mom loves me even when it is hard to. She values my feelings above her own, and she makes sacrifices daily for me. Even if she is in the middle of shopping at Target (aka Heaven), she will hit pause and chat on the phone with me until I will shut up.

9. She is friends with all of my friends

I sometimes think my friends like my mom more than they like me. I guess she is just that cool.

10. Nothing can stop her love for me

No matter what I have done or how bad I have treated her in the past, she still loves me. Her most famous words are, "Nothing will ever change the love I have for you." Even if I steal all of her clothes and they somehow end up in my closet, this stays true.