7 References You Missed In Riverdale's Flashback Episode

A show full of flashbacks, secrets and Cole Sprouse? You can't go wrong.

135

The popular tv series, "Riverdale," is currently on their third season and everyone is raving. The fourth episode, "Chapter Thirty-Nine: The Midnight Club," was recently aired. It is a flashback episode that is set in the late eighties, early nineties and gives background on all of the characters' parents. Throughout the show, there are multiple ways the producers helped to set the scene and even included small references to other media from the eighties for those that pay attention close enough.

While some were more clear than others, here are seven references that you missed in episode four of "Riverdale."

1. The Midnight Club

The way the kids are described throughout the episode by Alice Cooper reminds us a lot of "The Breakfast Club." She labeled each of her classmates as they sit in detention just like in the movie. Their group name in the episode could also even be based on it.

2. Lover Cast

High school FP is wearing a cast that says loser with a V written over the S. This same design is worn on a cast by one of the kids, Eddie, in the movie "It."

3. Cheryl's Famous Line

Cheryl Blossom's infamous line, "I'm in the mood for a little bit of chaos" is used by Penelope in her high school years. This is not a reference to the specific time period, but it does show us where Cheryl gets her personality from.

4. Fizzle Rocks

In the episode, fizzle rocks, a drug that is strangely similar to our version of "Pop Rocks," are passed out among the students. After the fizzle rocks were passed around, they get into an intense game of Gryphons and Gargoyles and things go downhill from there. This drug is also a different version of the drug high schoolers in Riverdale use now, jingle jangle.

5. The Music 

"Take on Me," "Modern Love," and "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" are just a few of the songs that are included in episode thirty-nine. All of these songs being popular in the eighties help bring us back to that time.

6. Principal Featherhead

The man who plays principal featherhead, Anthony Michael Hall, actually was Brian Johnson in "The Breakfast Club." He even assigns the parents a 1000 word essay, just like he was assigned in the movie.

7. The Title Card

The CW

The title card for this episode looks extremely close to that of "Saved by the Bell."