5 Common Misconceptions That Introverts Battle Every Day

How many do you believe?
40

Introverts are just like everyone else. But sometimes we're seen as weirdos or loners. Here are five of the most common misconceptions people tend to have about introverts:

1. We hate any kind of social interaction.

Contrary to popular belief, we actually enjoy socializing. We’re just extremely selective with those we decide to spend our time with.

We enjoy going out and doing things, but sometimes we prefer to stay in and do nothing. We may not go to all your event, we may decline more often than we accept, but don’t for a second believe that we don’t want to hang. Sometimes we just need a break from life. So please, invite your introvert friends, invite us, for the good of us all in this great country. Amen.

2. We secretly want to be extroverted.

Although extroversion has traditionally been the “default” personality type, many people have taken this to mean that introverts are an outlier, and not “normal.” In that regard, they think that introverts want to become extroverts when actually, we’re perfectly happy to be introverted. It’s who we are and we don’t want to change that

3. We’re bad at socializing.

I will talk for hours about my passions, and I can even make meaningless small talk, the main difference between me and an extrovert is that I need time alone to regenerate for these events, while extroverts get their energy from talking to people.

4. We shy away from leadership roles.

Leaders are not delegated only to extroverts. Think Mark Zuckerberg, Steven Spielberg, and Rosa Parks! All introverts who lead in their respective fields.

5. We’re all super nerdy.

Just because I do not want to go out and party every night, does not mean I am this huge nerd that is always studying. I’d much rather stay at home and watch 15 hours of television then do schoolwork.

The truth is, we like to go out, we like to have fun, it just takes more effort and energy for us to go out and do things. Sometimes it's just better for us to stay home and do nothing.