5 Misconceptions About Boldness

5 Misconceptions About Boldness

Discovering what proclaiming truth truly looks like.

191
5 Misconceptions About Boldness

1. Boldness Means Being “Strong”

I think a lot of people misunderstand what boldness really means. Obviously, boldness involves confidence in what you’re saying and why you’re saying it, but you don’t have to be some kind of perfect person to step out in boldness. The most bold people in the Bible were some of the least “qualified” people to be serving God, and yet God granted them boldness. So, if boldness doesn’t have a minimum perfection requirement, what does it really mean? It means stepping out and speaking truth, no matter the circumstance. Often times, that requires courage, because the world usually doesn’t respond well to truth. Boldness doesn’t mean being “strong”. It means being real.

2. A Bold Statement Must Be Mind-Blowing and Dramatic

Often times, we assume that a statement isn’t bold simply because of context. We see pastors and community leaders speaking with boldness, but we don’t think of a confession between friends, an encouraging word, or a godly correction as bold. If you don’t think you speak with boldness, don’t think just about the times you’ve spoken in front of a crowd and discourage yourself. The Lord leads us to be bold in all areas of our lives! It’s a glorious thing, that even the quietest of us can be the boldest. Encourage, confess, and correct with boldness and love!

3. Boldness is an Adjective for Speech

The most famous passage in Scripture about boldness, Acts 4:23-31, uses phrases like “speak your word with all boldness,” and “continued to speak the word of God with boldness,” and therefore boldness is often a term used in reference to speech. Our actions, however, are capable of being bold as well. As we’ve established, boldness means being real and vulnerable with people. Taking time out of your day to have a meaningful conversation, helping a person with their groceries, or getting on your knees to pray are actions of boldness that glorify God and lead people to understand His glory. Look for actions you can take to be bold was well as listening to the words God gives you to say.

4. Boldness Equals Sternness

Sometimes, delivering the truth in the right way is difficult. Whether you are calling a friend out on a mistake or shedding new light on a piece of Scripture, however, God calls us to be loving. Boldness, like every other gift from God, can usually be misused and misunderstood by humans. Many of us assume that because we are bold, we are strong, and therefore better than the people we are speaking or acting towards. Being bold, however, doesn’t mean you are bold of your own confidence, but bold in your faith of Jesus, who loved you despite your fallenness. All boldness should be born out of love for your neighbor, and that love must be cultivated in Christ.

5. Just Because Something is True, It Must Be Said

The thing about boldness is this: for something to be truly “bold” it must come from Christ, not from you. I have often found myself falling into the trap of assuming that simply because I have a statement in mind that is true, I am free to say it, no matter the context, because I am being bold. This is one that can manifest itself in a number of ways, whether it be me talking too much in my Bible study or being a little bit too blunt with someone. The thing is, if the words I speak aren’t from Jesus, then I am not doing anyone any good by saying them. So, when you are in a discussion or a confrontation, take the time to think about whether the words you are thinking of saying next are from Him. If they are, not only should you say them, but you must say them with confidence in Christ!