Miscellaneous Soccer News from around the world

The top stories from the soccer world this week

23
Eckel & Vaughan

The global game truly never stops, especially at this time of year when most leagues are in full swing. With clubs getting relegated, promoted, and with conservations around the game constantly changing, there is a lot to get to.

1. Aizawl FC, "The People's Club" & the I-League ISL merger

Indian football for about five decades has been in the doldrums. FIFA has touted the nation as a "sleeping giant". However; the narrative is slowly starting to shift as Indians have began to take football more seriously thanks in partly to the Indian Super League, a franchise based league owned by Indian billionaires who want to promote sustainable football to the Indian public by investing large sums of money in foreigners and obtaining sponsors. The league however is just an exhibition league as the "poorly run" I League still retains 1st division status.

There have been talks for months about a possible merger between the I League and ISL. Things looked to be heading the right direction until this week when Aizawl FC won the I League for the first time in its history.

Aizawl is a club from Mizoram a Northeastern state of India. The Northeastern part of India is a hotbed for producing footballers in the I League however no club has ever from this part of the country has won.

That all changed this week when Aizawl tied Shillong Lajong 1-1 to lift its first major trophy. This club only a few years ago was in the state run amateur league of India and now they were crowned champions. This achievement by Aizawl was the best thing that has happened to Indian football in recent memory.

However; with it came doubt as for a few days it was reported that IMG-Reliance (the marketing company that runs the ISL) probably wouldn't allow Aizawl into the league if it was to become first division because they didn't have enough money from their owners or sponsorships. This would mean that if the ISL became the first division next season (with the coming addition of Bengaluru, Mohun Bagan, and East Bengal FC), the champions of India would be forcefully relegated to the second division. Perhaps killing the club's newfound support and embarrassing the AIFF on the world stage right before the U-17 World Cup in India.

In the end, the players took it into their own hands and began a hunger strike while the social media campaign #IStandwithAizawl spread through soccer twitter.

Then just yesterday it was announced that the I League ISL merger would be called off for another 2-3 years given that talks had officially fizzled out between the parties of multiple clubs, the federation, and the AIFF. Ultimately meaning that I League would stay as the premier league in India though perhaps with a few changes.

One of them being that the ISL would run parallel to the I League next season over a five month period. Another being a potential Super Cup competition between the best four of the ISL and the I League with the winner getting a birth to the qualification stages of the AFC Champions League. This proposal has not been passed but is does have some support. This potential policy could be promising as it preserves I League's supporter run, grassroots clubs like Aizawl and gives the ISL the credible backing that it deserves given its large attendances and ability to bring Indian football into the mainstream.

2. Canada gets the green light of the Canadian Premier League

Despite the growth in Canadian soccer over the past few years thanks to the strong brands of the three MLS clubs (Montreal, Vancouver, & Toronto) as well as Edmonton (NASL) & Ottawa (USL). Canada's national teams is still strides behind Mexico, Costa Rica, and the USA. Though the players Canada is producing have been better (just look at Cyle Larin) however; just five professional clubs & a few players overseas isn't enough for a country of 33 million people to produce a World Cup quality team.

That's why the Canadian Soccer Federation gave the green light to the Canadian Premier League to start building a league in the coming seasons that Canada can call its own. This is great news for Canadian soccer because it means there will be more opportunities for Canadian players to get professional experience in cities that currently don't have professional soccer clubs.

The Canadian Premier League is projected to either kick off in 2018 or 2019 with 6-10 clubs depending on how fast the owners can get their new clubs off the ground. Keep an eye on this space.

3. Grand old clubs in tough places.

The European football landscape is changing as well as new money continues to flow into the richest soccer leagues in the world, this has created some unsettling times for old giants as they can't keep up with the changing times.

In England alone this season, Leyton Orient a club that has been in the football league for 112 years was relegated down to the National League just a few weeks ago after a horrible season, which saw their players unpaid for months. Meanwhile the 1992 Premier League Champions Blackburn Rovers were just relegated from the Championship, dropping them into the third division of English football.

In Germany, Hamburg sit in a relegation playoff place as the relegation woes continue for the grand old German club that has never been relegated from the Bundesliga. The club would likely face Hannover, another large club who was relegated from the Bundesliga last season.

Meanwhile in Italy, the Milan clubs can't seem to figure it out despite new Chinese ownership. AC sit in sixth (the last European spot) and Inter in seventh. It has been five years since a Milan club has been in the Champions League and that drought will probably continue for a while.

4. Ronaldo breaks another record in the Champions League.

This week in the Champions League semi-finals against Athletico Madrid. Christiano Ronaldo scored his 100th Champions League goal, the most ever. He is currently 27 ahead of Lionel Messi though Messi is a few years younger than him. Despite being 32 the man continues to score crucial goals in important games as he looks to lead Real Madrid to back to back Champions League titles for the first time in history.

5. Liga MX playoff and relegation results.

This weekend the Clausura regular season ended with some wild results. Pachuca beat America 3-2 in the Azteca meaning both would miss out on playoff contention as America finished 9th and Pachuca 10th. Meaning that the biggest club in Mexico and the current champions of CONCACAF would not be competing for the title in Mexico.

Meanwhile Tigres smashed Queretaro 5-1 to clinch a playoff spot, displaying a statement of intent as the strongest attacking club in Mexico looks to rebound from a disappointing CONCACAF Champions League loss. I'm sure no one wants to face them right now.

At the bottom end of the table all was not well for Chiapas, the most poorly run club in Mexico's top division. Despite the 1-0 win against Atlas in the Jalisco, it wasn't enough as Moreilla beat Monterrey 2-1 to clinch safety and the last spot in the playoffs. Meaning Chiapas will drop in the Ascenso next season.

It was another thrilling end to the Spring regular season in Mexico as playoff time approaches and Tigres looks to sweep both the Apertura and Clausrua.