Token Minority Characters

Token Minority Characters

It Isn't Funny Anymore.

32

Stereotypes: we know they're wrong, but they're so damn funny. At least, that's what television has brainwashed us to think. But is it really okay to be laughing at jokes that perpetuate stereotypes and, for the most part, are racially charged? Probably not. We have been programmed to think these jokes are okay because of this classic pattern we see on every sitcom and cartoon, the token minority character. This character is either the outcast, the butt of every joke, or portrayed in such a way that if you really analyze it, you might question why society still allows this type of crap to get broadcast at all.

What shows have this 'token minority character' you ask? How much time do you have? Here are just a few of dozens of shows that use minority groups for comedic relief.

That 70's Show's Fez. Need we say more? In addition to the constant ridicule for his accent and misunderstandings of American culture, they never say specifically where Fez is from. While that might be a lame attempt to avoid making fun of a specific country or origin of people, Fez, in turn, encompasses all foreigners, especially those of Spanish/Latinx descent, and makes them all feel like outsiders

Family Guy's… everything. This adult cartoon is known for its controversial commentary, aggressive jokes, plays on stereotypes… but is that okay? Do we allow this type of behavior as long as viewers understand that the show intends to be vulgar and problematic? It could be argued that this show so often and so clearly makes fun of our society in general, include white Americans (like Peter himself), so there isn't a specific target. But we can't disregard the way Cleveland is portrayed, Consuela the maid, or poor Quahog news anchor, Tricia Takanawa.

Glee. Every classic high school (and other) stereotype exists in this extremely diverse bunch of high school wannabe rock stars. While yes, the cast may earn diversity points, Tina Cohen-Chang is worried about her "Asian F" grade (an A-), and Mercedes Jones is an overweight black girl known for her sassy demeanor. Tokenism does not equal diversity. If all of the 'diverse' characters are ethnic minorities perpetuating a stereotype already held by society, are those characters and their narratives really helping anything? Not really… This might also be a fun time to point out that Artie Abrams, the boy in the wheelchair, was played by fully-abled Kevin McHale, instead of giving the role to someone who actually understands the role due to their own physical limitations. Is that any different than a cisgender actor portraying a transgender character or white-washing? Just a thought.

Modern Family's Gloria. The producers of this show cannot even justify Gloria's character by saying 'it was a different time' (sorry Fez), because the show is still running. This award-winning show tries to relate to many different social groups while maintaining that "average-American family" title. While it is nice to see all types of healthy relationships form on this show, it is hard to get past the way Gloria is portrayed. Gloria is played by Sofia Vergara, who yes, does have an accent in real life and is Columbian American (score one for Modern Family). However, every punchline in her narrative is about how no one can ever understand her due to a thick accent. While this might have been funny the first one, two, or even one-hundredth time they wrote this joke, it's getting really old.

I only mentioned four shows, and it is already so easy to see the tokenism trend. What does this say about how Americans view minority groups? Here's a hint: we suck. We claim America is this incredible melting pot, but our media proves that we still have a certain stereotyping agenda built from years of racial controversies.

The worst part about the token minority character is how often we see it in children's television. The shows I listed above are either cartoons or supposed to be light-hearted, wholesome, even family-friendly programs with positive messages. These so-called fables need to take a good hard look at themselves and reconsider whether or not these foolish jokes might actually create a deeper consequence, letting people think these stereotypes and joking about them is still deemed acceptable and morally okay.