Mike Pence Believes Disney's "Mulan" Was Liberal Propaganda

"Moral of story: women in military, bad idea.”
28

Republican Party VP nominee Mike Pence argued in his own op-ed that Disney’s "Mulan" was “mischievous liberal propaganda.” The article was published in 1999 on a website for a radio program in Indiana, where Pence was a talk show host at the time. The article was recently discovered by BuzzFeed News.

Disney’s "Mulan" is based on a poem called "The Ballad of Mulan." The poem tells the story of Hua Mulan, a legendary female warrior who takes her elderly father’s place in the army. She fights in the army for years and is worshiped for her kung fu and sword fighting skills. In the Disney film, 16-year-old Mulan disguises herself as a man in order to save her aged father from enlistment.

Pence believes that the Disney movie was liberal propaganda designed to lure women into military combat roles. In his op-ed, he wrote:

“Obviously, this is Walt Disney’s attempt to add childhood expectation to the cultural debate over the role of women in the military…I suspect that some mischievous liberal at Disney assumes that Mulan’s story will cause a quiet change in the next generation’s attitude about women in combat and they just might be right.”

The op-ed continued with Pence’s reasoning on why women in the military is a “bad idea:”

“It is instructive that even in the Disney film, young Ms. Mulan falls in love with her superior officer! Me thinks the politically correct Disney types completely missed the irony of this part of the story. They likely added it because it added realism with which the viewer could identify with the characters. You see, now stay with me on this, many young men find many young women to be attractive sexually. Many young women find many young men to be attractive sexually. Put them together, in close quarters, for long periods of time, and things will get interesting. Just like they eventually did for young Mulan. Moral of story: women in military, bad idea.”