Just a Midwest Girl Living in a East Coast World

Starbucks is to New York as corn is to Indiana.

59

Being a girl from the good ole' state of Indiana you can imagine the culture shock I experienced when I was dropped into the concrete jungle, also known as New York City, for the first time ever AND expected to live there for a year. Man, has this back road driving, country loving chick learned a lot in these past couple of months. Dorothy, we definitely aren't in Kansas anymore.

1. You can kiss your race car driver dreams goodbye.

Considering you will never step foot in a driver's seat of car until you are home for the holidays, nor will you ever want to. The subway is your new car.

2. No article of clothing shall go unworn.

You know those clothes that are in the back of your closet that you have never worn but you could never part with? Yeah, I am talking about the ones that are a little too "out there" to be strutting down your small town's streets in. Well, I have got some good news for you. There are no rules to your style in New York City.

3. Venmo is your bestie/lifesaver.

Why do so many restaurant's in New York refuse to split checks? Or are so reluctant to do so? The world will never know.

4. Starbucks is to New York as corn is to Indiana.

I wish this was an exaggeration but it is far from. There are times when I am sitting in a Starbucks and can see another Starbucks a block over. Caffeine is no joke for the city life.

5. Grocery shopping is closely related to a Hunger Games movie.

The whole experience is an exhausting struggle to get the best of all the produce. Then, on top of that you get to wait in a checkout line that starts at the entrance of the store.

6. Hearing Thomas Rhett come out of any radio is like spotting a unicorn.

Country music isn't a thing in New York. If you hear it it's probably coming out of your own headphones.

7. Watch out for doors.

Door holding here is a rare occurrence. Don't make the mistake of expecting a door to be held for you and end up going through the rest of your day with spilled coffee on your shirt.

8. It's no longer rude to put headphones in when someone is talking to you.

Okay, maybe it is a little rude but how else are you supposed to go through your day without having an anxiety attack when you are constantly being asked to buy something or take some pamphlet of paper?

9. Runs are not relaxing.

Imagine frogger, but you are the frog. Yeah, it's definitely not dangerous or anything.

10. Accept the fact that everyone is going to think you're from the South.

If you don't sound like a New Yorker and you don't look like a New Yorker, you are from Alabama. Or so they always assume.

11. Police sirens will no longer phase you.

New York is constantly noisy. People are always honking their horns, yelling, and police sirens are wailing just as often as you are breathing.

12. Do not expect everyone to speak English.

New York is a mixing pot of the whole world and is one of the biggest tourist spots.