How To Prepare Yourself For Midterm Season

Brace Yourselves, Midterm Season Is Upon Us

No one likes midterms, but we have no choice but to do them. So here are some tips to help you through the tough week ahead.

83

No one likes tests. No one likes studying. No one likes being stressed out. So yeah, no one likes midterms (Or finals, but we won't get to that right now).

It's very easy to procrastinate, especially as a college student because there is just so much going on around you.

While you might want to go out to have fun and get the most out of the "college experience" remember one thing, there is no college if you fail all of your classes.

Now, let's get on to the basic tips you will need to prepare for your midterms…

Prioritize Your Tests and Projects.

All of your tests are important, but it's important to rank them from most to least important. This helps you determine which subjects you should focus more time on. The classes that are ranked the highest usually classes that you are struggling more in and this is the perfect time to get invest some time in boosting up your grade.

Start early.

It is absolutely crucial to plan ahead. I would give it at least two weeks before the testing period. This gives you time to start planning and creating a schedule of your study times. It keeps you organized, which is important all of the time, but especially when you're stressed beyond words about the Statistics midterm. Also, if you start early, then it gives you time to create amazing study guides. It can be a study guide template you find online or you can create your own. Remember, everyone learns differently so try to find the style that helps you best and apply it for your review.

You can never be too prepared.

So let's say that you are someone who is AMAZING at English and your midterm for the class is an essay. Okay, that's pretty easy for you, but that doesn't you can't invest time into editing it and making sure it's a great essay. You shouldn't strive for average and barely passing, you should be striving for excellence (yes, even on that U.S. History midterm).

Now, those are three crucial keys for successful midterms (and finals) studying, but here are a couple of smaller tips for when it comes to other basic factors to remember that can affect your studying…

Take breaks.

You're going to need them. There is no way you can study for five hours straight. Either take a five-minute break after an hour of studying or a fifteen-minute break after two hours. It's up to you. Just remember to take breaks because there is only so much your brain can retain in a consecutive amount of time.

Make sure your study environment is as peaceful as possible.

You're already stressed. Don't try to stress yourself out even more by having a messy area and losing your notes for an important concept because they're under the shirt you wore two weeks ago. Also, make sure it's an area where you can concentrate and won't have too many distractions around you.

To-do lists of what you need to study for.

Prioritize within your subjects. I cannot stress this enough. Maybe you're struggling with a specific concept in your class, prioritize that concept and study it for a bit longer. A to-do list also helps you cross things off as you go, which can make you feel rewarding about your progress.

Keep your favorite snacks nearby.

No, talking about Takis. I'm talking about healthy snacks that can help stimulate your brain and keep you concentrated on the work at hand. Okay, so maybe you can have a bag of gummy bears nearby. Make sure to treat yourself to some when you finish studying a certain unit.

It's important to encourage and motivate yourself to put in an effort. It's very easy to half-ass something and end up failing because you didn't want to spend an hour studying for that class.

Trust me, once midterms are over, you will feel like a new person. Like you no longer have a burden. And it will feel AMAZING!

....That is until finals roll around.