Midterm Elections Are Over... Now What?
Elections

So, The Midterm Elections Are Over... Now What?

Whether or not your candidates won, the fight still isn't over.

43

This midterm election was one for the history books. The results may not have been what everyone had hoped for, but so many great changes have already come from yesterday's voting.

The number of students voting this year broke the record for any previous midterm election, Colorado elected the first openly gay man as a U.S. governor, at least 118 women will be serving in Congress (HELL YEAH) and Michigan became the 9th state to legalize marijuana.

Major progress has been made!

But we also have to take a moment to grieve for the candidates who we were so sure would win. This election was so crucial to bringing about a "blue wave" in this political climate and bringing balance between the left and right influence. And with the loss in larger states such as Beto O'Rourke in Texas running for Senate, or Democrat Andrew Gillum in Florida, running for governor in a state that has been red for the last two decades, it is easy to throw in the towel and grumble until 2020's election.

But guess what? We're not finished.

There are so many ways to get involved with local government and bring about the change you want. It is the smaller steps the turn into the biggest leaps and the actions that you take to seek the policy you agree with, they matter.

Just a few simple ways of engaging in local politics can be attending your city council meetings, volunteering for different organizations that stand for what you're passionate about, or simply striking up a conversation with peers about what you find important and sharing your knowledge.

Don't be that person that claims politics doesn't really matter to them. If you have a job, policy matters; if you have children, policy matter; if you live in a house, apartment, or literally anywhere, policy MATTERS. When you get involved, it benefits you and those around you.

The time to get involved is now! Don't spend another two years complaining about our officials, taxes, or anything else that you have the power to change. Get active and fight for what you believe.