M-E-T-S Mets! Mets! Mets!

M-E-T-S Mets! Mets! Mets!

What's going on in Flushing

13
M-E-T-S Mets! Mets! Mets!

The Mets are making a World Series run like no other National League team. I'm not saying they are going to win, but if they keep playing like they've been playing since the All-Star break, then they will be in the Fall Classic.

For a while, the Mets could not seem to hit the ball. With solid pitchers like Matt Harvey, Zack Wheeler, and R.A. Dickey, Met’s fan had something to cheer about in the early 2010’s. But the Mets could not hit the ball and, if you don't hit the ball, you can't score runs. In the year 2013, all-star Matt Harvey led the club in both ERA and strikeouts. That same year, the same year he was shut down due to a UCL tear in his elbow, he led all of the majors in no-decisions. After Harvey underwent Tommy John surgery, the Mets were, once again, at the bottom of baseball’s rankings; but hope was not lost! Lucas Duda and Daniel Murphy both were returning in 2015 with Duda staying hot after a career year in 2014. Fans had something to look forward to with Harvey’s new elbow and young aces like Jacob deGrom and Noah Syndergaard.

However, there were still holes in the lineup, CF Curtis Granderson seemed to be more of a liability than an asset, and David Wright still can't seem to stay healthy. In addition to the aging veterans, the club still couldn't seem to find a solid catcher. In 2015, the pieces seemed to click and the team started to work. Energized by the success of all-star deGrom, the bats came alive (sorta). At the end of the first half of the season, the Mets were one game above .500 (42-41). Entering into the break they were hot, but overall playing like an average team. Do not misunderstand, they were playing better, but at the time they weren’t great. Now, they are playing great.

Since the All-Star break, they are 19-11 and have won nine out of their last 10 games. First baseman, Lucas Duda, is heating up with 10 RBIs and three home runs in his last 10 games. Late July also brought trade additions like set-up-extraordinaire, Tyler Clippard, and the Cuban missile crisis, Yoenis Cespedes. The Mets are making all the rights moves and the win column reflects those moves. Queens is electric right now and there is hope again for Mets fans. They are playoff-bound and possibly World Series-bound if they can somehow get by the St. Louis Cardinals, who cannot seem to lose. The Mets are on fire and I love it.