Metalhead 101: Concert Etiquette

Metalhead 101: Concert Etiquette

Getting you ready for your next concert

1072
Metalhead 101: Concert Etiquette
Luka Knežević

Now, I know what you're thinking, "Aren't metal concerts supposed to just be a big free-for-all?" The answer is no. Believe it or not, there are some rules that most established metalheads know (I say most because there are always a few bad apples in any genre). So if you are new to the metal scene here is some basic etiquette to help prepare you, and if you have been around the block a few times it never hurts to brush up.

1. Have your ticket and ID ready

There is something just annoying about having to wait behind someone as they dig through their stuff to find their ticket. Having it ready before hand keeps the line moving and makes it easier on staff because they don't have to deal with as many annoyed patrons.

2. Wear sturdy but comfortable shoes

Boots are honestly your best option. Metal concerts tend to be a bunch of tightly packed people jumping up and down. The fact that a lot of metalheads already wear boots can mean hell for your feet if you choose the wrong footwear.

3. Pants are best

DO. NOT. WEAR. SKIRTS. I'm all for looking cute, but it is way too easy for skirts to ride up and everybody being able to see your butt. Also - thigh rub sucks.

4. Don't elbow your way to the front

If you get there late (or late enough that there are already people in the front) find a spot that is available and accept it. Everyone wants to be as close to the band as possible, so standing room is first come first serve.

5. Don't drag people into the pit

If someone is on the edge of the pit looking at the stage they obviously don't want to be pushed around. Not everyone goes to a metal concert to mosh and you should respect that.

6. Ladies, you need to expect to be pushed around if you enter the pit

Just because you are a girl doesn't mean the pit is just going to disband because you enter it. I have seen quite a few girls enter the pit and then throw a temper tantrum because some pushed them. I mean if a guy is being overly aggressive towards you, or is punching/kicking you then, by all means, call him out, but there is a reasonable expectation of physical contact when you enter the pit.

7. Just because she is in the pit doesn't mean you can grope her

GUYS! You can push her sure it's a mosh pit, but if you start grabbing at her breasts, butt, cooch, or really anywhere that can be sexualised then she has the right to report you and probably have you thrown out of the venue. Just because she is in the pit doesn't mean she is consenting to sexual contact. FYI - That counts as sexual assault and women should be able to punch you like Hermione punched Draco.

8. Be aware of your surroundings

You don't want to accidentally saunter into the middle of a clearing only to be trampled by the wall of death. Also, if you are dancing or headbanging then you need to be aware that you aren't just constantly elbowing someone or shoving your sweaty hair in their face.

9. Don't get super drunk

No one likes a sloppy drunk falling all over the place and yelling in their ear. Also, if you puke then you will get to see how quickly the venue will turn on you.

10. Be aware of venue rules

Every venue is different. Some venues prohibit moshing. most discourage crowd surfing, all will get angry if you try to jump on stage. Remember the staff are people who are just trying to do their job and if you don't bother to follow the rules then don't pitch a fit when they enforce them.