The Mess In America's Bathroom

The Mess In America's Bathroom

The current state of affairs in America can most easily be described as "messy".

13
The Mess In America's Bathroom
SheKnows

It seems like these isn't a single person who hasn't ran into a strange feeling or two while reading many of the headlines that've soared around the internet since the start of the new presidency.

Though there are many people who are currently being affected by policies that have popped up over the past couple of weeks some come as more of a shock than others.

On February 22 the Trump administration totally reversed Obama's protections that allowed for transgender students to use the bathroom that correlated with their gender identity. The protection that was put into place by Obama was nationwide under the interpretation of Title IX.

By reversing this act, the Trump administration is now allowing for the guidelines concerned with gender identity and bathrooms to be a discussion on a state level opposed to nationwide. Basically, different states could offer different solutions, or problems, for it's transgender students.

And when bad couldn't seem to get worse, it did. The Supreme Court announced on Monday that it wouldn't be ruling in a case involving Gavin Grimm, a transgender boy seeking to use his high school bathroom in Virginia.

This comes as a crushing blow to the trans community as it was just last year that the Obama administration created a sense of acceptance through their call for trans students to use the bathroom they feel is correct.

The case involving Grimm was seen as a potential comeback for the trans community since it could established a nationwide ruling over the subject.

If information about the success of trans students using the correct bathrooms could have a perfect time slot it would be now, but it seems that nobody can hear that message when they're constantly being overpowered by people who claim that transgender people are monsters seeking trouble in the john.

Being trans and having to use the bathroom can often times be one of the most terrifying things a gender nonconforming person can encounter, but the most interesting aspect in this conversation is the obsession that cisgender people have with trans individuals.

In most every day situations, a person would be very uncomfortable with a friend who was constantly concerned with those who use the same restroom as the because if we're all being honest, nobody really cares.

Bathrooms aren't usually a major hang out area for most people, and it's safe to say that the obstacle that is public restrooms offers a challenge that most trans individuals try to avoid altogether.

Overall, the Trump administration's obsession with trans individuals doesn't have anything to do with restrooms. At it's core, this issue is about whether or not a portion of Americans want to accept the existence of trans individuals in every day society.

And with UCLA's William Institute reporting that the United States has 150,000 transgender youth from ages 13 to 17, I think it's safe to say that these individuals are present and deserve the same rights and respect as everyone else.