5 Major Tips For Spring Cleaning Your Mentality

Spring cleaning your mind is productive, but doesn't require actual, you know...cleaning (because that sounds like a lot of effort you just simply don't have).

22
https://www.maxpixel.net/Spring-Flower-Flower-Plant-Hyacinth-Nature-Spring-3219718

If you're reading this, congratulations! You've almost made it through the darkest, coldest days of the year and spring is on the horizon. At this point in the year, your life is probably just about in shambles and that's totally fine, cause mine is too! If you're like me, your living space is currently an abyss of dirty laundry you just cleaned, your bank account is emptier than an academic building on a Friday night, your grades are six foot under and your overall sense of security has seemingly gone on its own personal Spring Break (extended edition). But today, we're not worried about the physical mess that needs to be cleaned. After these tips, today is the day where your winter blues are ridded like cobwebs from an attic and a newfound, positive, spring-cleansed mentality takes over. Happy cleaning!

Stop the constant comparison

They say comparison kills, and I tend to agree with this. There's nothing wrong with using others achievements as motivation for yourself, however constantly wishing you were different or more alike someone else can get to be quite toxic. This spring, try to consciously catch yourself when you start to self compare. Address the comparison, ask yourself why you're making it, and turn it into positive motivation to pursue a goal. Even if you can not achieve exactly what you're comparing yourself too (ie. no amount of squat will get you Kim K's...ahem...figure), knowing that you are trying to be the best version of you that you can be is more fulfilling than you'd think.

Cut the toxicity

The friend you've been drifting from who makes you feel guilty, weird, or used? Let them go.

That kid who keeps trying to start drama with you every time you go out together? See ya later, hater.

Steven from SAE who keeps blowing you off? You're over him.

One of the most important things you can do to start spring with a healthy mind is to cut out the people who do not bring you joy and appreciation. The people in your life should provide happiness and encourage you to be the best version of yourself, and if they're not doing that, then they simply have to go. As President Ariana Grande so wisely says: Thank U, Next.

It's not that deep

If you're a human whose alive, you may have noticed that everything nowadays seems to be dramatized, monetized, and blown out of wordly proportion. This spring, the next time you think that you're problems are unfixable, that you're never going to succeed, or that the world is straight up out to get you, take a breather and remember this: life does not always have to be taken so seriously. We are all just human beings, floating along in really weird infinite universe thing, doing our best to balance our primal needs and show up to work on time (and by on time, I mean less than five minutes late...okay, less then ten minutes late). Elon Musk himself thinks this world is all just a simulation anyways. It's. Not. That. Deep... and you are only human.

Fake it 'til you make it

Much unlike several pop culture icons nowadays (I'm looking at you, Bhad Bhabie) the phrase "fake it 'til you make it" isn't famous for no reason. In fact, it's even backed up by science. If you're not feeling great about yourself, I dare you to do this: next time you walk into a room, pretend you're a hybrid of Rihanna and Beyoncé and strut like you would with that type of confidence. It sounds stupid, but just try it. Notice if conversation flows better or if you feel better with how a situation went then you would have otherwise, because the chances are these things will come true. It is so much easier to change your mentality about many things this way then you'd think. And eventually, instead of rocking Rihanna-Beyoncé energy, you'll be rocking your own self-confidence with pride.

Close this tab and get grinding

Alright, people, we've made it to the end. This is more of an order than a suggestion. Stop procrastinating the work you have: close the 75 tabs of YouTube videos you have pulled up, shut down the online shopping, tell Becky on FaceTime you don't have time to listen to her saga about Brayden from Sigma Nu, and get grinding. At the end of the day, your future is dependent on the effort you put in now, whether that effort is put into studying, working, or applications. You have the power to get that A or get the promotion you've been dreaming of, but you have to work hard and earn it. Now, I'm going to take my own advice and go drown in my midterms (if I can do it, you can too).