MY Mental Illness Is Not YOUR Scapegoat

MY Mental Illness Is Not YOUR Scapegoat

I'm tired of letting people use their undiagnosed depression as a reason for being an asshole.

387
MY Mental Illness Is Not YOUR Scapegoat
Brooke Albright

Depression and Anxiety—scratch that—any type of mental illness can turn you into a monster, a complete asshole.

Whether it be pushing people away when they want to be let in, or just screaming f**k you to them when they offered some words of advice.

I mean, we see it in every sort of movie and TV show (YOU to be exact), we don't like when people try to tell us how to deal with situations, even if we are having an anxiety attack in the corner and they are just reminding us to breathe.

I don't know how many times I've told someone to "piss off" when they just wanted me to breathe in-between my screams.

I get it, this shit can turn you into someone you don't even know.

Heck, I'm not even sure I am myself right now.

But here's the thing America, I am tired of people who are shooting people, killing babies, stealing etc. getting "off the hook" because they have some sort of mental disability.

What that's telling half of us who suffer from this god dammed monster they have named "mental illness" is that we are murders, molesters, and so on and so forth. Or, it's telling the ACTUAL murders, and molesters that when they do the things that they do...it's ok because they can just throw some fake, undiagnosed mental illness out there and get away with it.

I'm tired of it.

I am sick and tired of being blamed for the reason that so many messed up people go into schools and kill innocent people. I am tired of being told that if they took us "more seriously" that this wouldn't happen.

Maybe America should take mental illness more seriously.

I'm not saying that it couldn't be the reason that so many innocent people have been murdered, but Jesus Christ. We are not all sick, twisted killers. Some of us are just having a really hard time with some stuff.

Some of us really only tend to hurt ourselves—mentally an physically—not other people.

And you know what, those who do it deserve another category- selfish.

There, I said it.

I'm tired of being the reason that Jeffrey didn't answer your text last night, too. He doesn't have "something deeper going on" he's just an asshole.

I'm tired of being the reason why Sally won't go to any family parties because of her extreme social anxiety. No, she just doesn't really like you that much, dude.

Mental Illness is a diagnosis—not just a reason why you didn't do your homework last night.

I'm tired of letting people get away with it. When you experience this real ass feeling of darkness and hurt, please go talk to someone for some help.

Until then, you can blame it on yourself.

Not the rest of us.