mental health disorder awareness
Health Wellness

Mental Illness is NOT a joke

"Having depression doesn't mean you are sad 100% of the time. Having an eating disorder does not mean you have to be skinny. Having social anxiety does not mean you can't talk to people. Having Obsessive Compulsive Disorder does not mean you are constantly cleaning. Stereotypes of these serious mental illnesses and many others need to stop."

158
Mental Illness is NOT a joke

I'll admit it, I'm not healthy. I'm not the kind of unhealthy you could catch at first glance, but anxiety and depression have kept me struggling for the past year.

I've spent this past year trying to figure out how to stop my mental illness because it wasn't convenient for those around me. Despite the fact I was constantly throwing up, having panic attacks, and finding rashes all over my body, it's all in my head, right? I spent weeks in my room isolated, only leaving for school and food, overthinking everything I've done and what I should've done or laying on my bathroom floor paralyzed with sadness for absolutely no reason at all.

Whenever I have symptoms of a physical sickness, I receive a huge amount of support and kind words. There are absolutely no jokes made about my illness when it is clearly visible; however, if I seek help because of my depression or anxiety, numerous people take it as me making an excuse.

Mental Health is often times tossed around so lightly. People who are struggling with a mental illness won't admit it due to this. Many people have yet to understand how strongly a mental illness can affect a person, and sometimes how difficult it can be to try to recover from one. Lighthearted jokes about such a serious issue as this need to be stopped and stopped fast.

Let's start by first defining what a mental illness actually is. Mental illness consists of a wide range of mental health conditions. These disorders can affect your mood, thinking, as well as behavior. The most common of the mental disorders are known to be anxiety and panic disorders, depression, bipolar disorder, eating disorders, and Schizophrenia. However, there are a total of over a hundred mental illnesses, all of which are still stigmatized in this day and age. Mental health disorders are created by chemical imbalances in the brain, and they usually require medication and therapy much like regular physical health problems.

According to statistics, an estimate of around 42.5 million Americans each year are diagnosed to be suffering with a mental illness. That is one in five Americans every year. With this many people in our nation being affected why is this struggle still deemed to be a "joke" or "not serious". I can almost guarantee that everyone reading this would rather have a healthy brain than healthy teeth, if they had to choose. So why do we care more about our dental health than mental health? Why is mental health constantly put on the back burner when so many people are affected and they all just want to feel ok?

Comments such as " if you go out and do something, maybe you'll feel better", or "a lot of people are more worse off than you", or "why don't you just avoid what is making you feel this way". When someone breaks their arm , would you ask them to just try using their arm despite the fact it is broken? When someone is physically injured it is a no-brainer to ask for help, why should this be different for someone suffering with a mental illness? Would you ask someone bleeding to "wait it out?" Would you tell someone with cancer that taking treatment is "giving in?" Around 90 percent of people who have committed suicide have been found to have some sort of mental disorder.

Stop stigmatizing mental illness and instead help those affected get the help they need. With the correct treatment and support, we have the opportunity save hundreds of lives every year. Mental illness is not a death sentence. A person with a mental disorder is not more likely to commit suicide just because they have a mental health issue, but because of lack of support and help they need.

So instead of judging someone for their mental illness make them feel loved and accepted. Give them hope that everything is going to be ok. Give them the support and help they need. Treat them with respect and kindness, and most of all NEVER joke about what they are going through.

For those of you that do have a mental health disorder(s), please reach out for help. Whether it be a friend, a family member, or a doctor please look for support. You deserve to feel ok.

IF YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW IS STRUGGLING WITH SUICIDAL THOUGHTS, REACH OUT IMMEDIATELY. NO ONE SHOULD GO THROUGH THIS ALONE. SUICIDE IS SERIOUS. MENTAL ILLNESS IS SERIOUS.

National Suicide Hotline: 1 (800) 273-8255 - available 24/7

Anxiety and Depression Association of America (ADAA): provides information on prevention, treatment and symptoms of anxiety, depression and related conditions. Phone: 240-485-1001

Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance (DBSA): provides information on bipolar disorder and depression, offers in-person and online support groups and forums. Phone: 1-800-826-3632