5 Tips To Finding Happiness In Depression

5 Tips My Therapist Recommends For Finding Your Happy Place In The Midst Of Depression

You can find happiness, even in seasons of hurt.

1955

When I first began treatment for depression, I was terrified. I did not feel like me. I had no idea who this version of myself was. I was never the person who got sad for no reason at all or couldn't even find the motivation to get in the shower. This was my first time ever experiencing these types of challenges. I thought I had it all figured out before, but I was wrong. Sometimes, you can The most important thing is to remember — this feeling will NOT last forever.

1. Exploring your thoughts using a thought chart

When you find yourself drowning in your negative thoughts, it is important to ask yourself these questions. "Is this thought necessarily true?" "This thought makes me feel..." "Evidence both for and against thought.." "What would you tell your best friend if they felt this way?"

These evaluation questions help you navigate what you're feeling in a more healthy, productive way. It is okay to not feel okay, but it is important to understand why.

2. Recognize when you can distract yourself vs. when you need to let it out

Sometimes, you can turn on Spotify, put the depression on the back burner, and attempt to resume normal life. Other times, you just need to cry and scream into your pillow for awhile, and that is also okay! There is a time and a place for both, so it's helpful to know yourself well enough to choose the best option!

3. Don't let things bottle up

Just like the second tip says, sometimes you need to feel all of your feelings. It can feel almost impossible sometimes, like you believe you'll never get through it. Those are the best times to find someone you trust to confide in.

If that does not feel like the option for you, write a letter to yourself. It can be messy, grammatically incorrect, filled with curses, and as private as you want it to be. After you write it, read it over. Then, you burn it. Letting all of these thoughts turn to ash before you can be so cathartic. Just like the burning paper, the sadness will someday diminish too.

4. Remove unnecessary pressure from your schedule

When my depression hit its all-time low, I was working six days a week, managing online schoolwork, and doing very little to help myself. Don't do that to yourself. Everyone needs a little mental health break sometimes, it's normal. My therapist recommended I adjusted my work schedule. Instead of six days, I worked four, and with the extra time I had off, I did things I enjoyed doing. For example, playing the piano, doing yoga, or just relaxing and enjoying a good series on Netflix. You do not have to be so busy all the time!

Give yourself that much-needed break.

5. Deep breathing

I know it sounds simple, but trust me, it works. If you ever feel yourself beginning to fall into that spiral of depression, stop what you're doing. Take a breath. Or two. Or five. Count them in and out, and repeat to yourself all the things you CAN control in your life.

You should remind yourself that depression and anxiety are irrational, they don't make sense. You may feel like you're in danger, but you aren't. You are so brave to continue to fight this fight every day. It may feel impossible to deal with, but whether you realize it or not, you are doing exactly that.

You're dealing with it. THAT is worthy of applause.

It is all just a mind game, and it may seem scary, but it is a game you can win!