Mental Health Tips For Staying Sane During COVID-19

Three ways to improve your mental health and feel calm during this global pandemic.

434
https://unsplash.com/photos/WP77TQnwTr4

These uncertain and confusing times can make anyone start to feel a range of emotions. From annoyance to irritability, sadness to boredom, there is no label for what we should be feeling. To better manage your emotions in these new circumstances, here are three mental health tips to keep you sane during a global pandemic.

Practice Meditation

I have recently started practicing meditation and it has really helped me during this time. Meditation is the practice of being mindful of your day-to-day activities. I have found that taking the time to breathe and do guided meditations can help me feel calm, even when I'm not doing any stressful activities like homework. Meditation is great to practice before a final exam or homework assignment. That way, you can feel more relaxed going into the work and relieve stress. Additionally, doing a guided meditation or breathing exercises during stressful situations can clear your head and keep you grounded.

Savor the Moment

I recently learned the practice of savoring. This means holding onto a moment in which you felt happy or being mindful of a situation that you are currently in. For example, as I walked around my neighborhood – one of my favorite ways to get out of the house while social distancing – I took in the sounds and sights around me. It was a great way to enjoy the moment and clear my mind of any distracting thoughts.

Savoring also works to recall memories that make you smile. Putting yourself back in a happy situation will boost your mind and remind you of great moments in life.

Focus on Gratitude

Gratitude is always talked about to increase mental health, but what is it exactly? This simply means taking some time from your day and saying thank you for what you have and the amazing things you have been given.

The things you are thankful for can be tangible or intangible. You can be thankful for your home, a tangible item, or your health, an intangible item. Think deeply about gratitude and you will find more to be thankful for than you would have thought previously.

Overall, these confusing and uncertain times can make us hide in bed all day rather than facing responsibilities like school or remote work, if applicable to you. However, your mental health should never be jeopardized or cast aside. It is valuable and can be maintained with these practices.