10 Things To Do For Your Mental Health This School Year

10 Things You Need To Do For The Sake Of Your Mental Health This School Year

Back-to-school time is already stressful without online classes and no extracurriculars.

2645

Going back to school is already hard enough without the added stress of the pandemic, online classes, and access to little or no extracurriculars. But here we are, going back right in the middle of a coronavirus surge. For the 20 percent of us who already deal with constant anxiety, depression, OCD, or another mental health disorder, these times are exceptionally hard. For anyone struggling with the idea of going back to college this year, here are 10 tips to help you get through the semester, happy and healthy.

1. Make time to do the things you love

While it can be hard to make yourself a priority when you have a list the size of the Empire State Building of things to do, it's a necessity in keeping yourself sane during the school year. If you have five extra minutes before class, stop at the vending machine and get your favorite bag of chips, or find some time in between homework to watch a few YouTube videos, or read a few pages of your favorite book.

Take any time you can to do anything, even something little, that you love. It will definitely make a difference.

2. Get good sleep

You hear it all the time, but it is one of the most important things to do to keep yourself mentally stable. Going to sleep a little earlier is much better for your health (and for your grades) than staying up late to study. Studies show that sleeping after you study information leads to a better recollection of it later. So take that nap and sleep in a little bit, it will do your grades and your mental health some good!

3. Find a way to exercise

In between class, homework, studying, clubs, eating, being social, and so many other things you have to juggle during college, I'm sure adding something as unpleasant as exercise to the list doesn't excite you. But, unfortunately, it's a must for our mental health. It helps you sleep better, releases endorphins (happy hormones), and decreases stress. The exercise doesn't have to be too strenuous, just maybe jog to class instead of walk, or take 20 minutes before bed to do some abs and arms workouts. You might be surprised at how much better you'll feel and maybe look.

4. Don't be afraid to ask for help

Luckily, for many of us, there are fewer stigmas around mental health and mental health disorders than there were 50 years ago. Unfortunately, there are still some out there. Don't let those get to you though. If you notice you're feeling more anxious than usual or just all of a sudden don't feel like yourself, talk to someone.

It doesn't always have to be a therapist or counselor, sometimes even discussing the things you're feeling anxious or upset about with a friend or family member can do wonders. Just make sure you're treating your mental health like you would your physical health and get checked out if/when you need to, you will thank yourself later.

5. Eat healthy, when you can

Obviously the freshmen 15 wouldn't be a thing if eating healthy in college was easy and common. When you're running late to your morning class you aren't going to stop and get freshly made scrambled eggs or oatmeal, you're going to stop at the vending machine and get a Pop-Tart.

Unfortunately, a lot of college is just running from place to place, eating when and what you can. With that being said, the best thing you can do for your body is to feed it fuel that it likes. So, when you get a chance, eat a salad or a granola bar, but don't beat yourself up about it. College and life are hard enough already.

6. Find a way to de-stress

During finals week, when everyone is feeling the most stressed out they have been since their last finals week, this tip is especially important. Most campuses hold events to help students de-stress where you can do arts and crafts or pet shelter dogs — those are nice, but having your own method of de-stressing that you can do whenever you are feeling overwhelmed is important.

For some, it's a nap, a hot shower, or a dance session in their dorm room. Do whatever works for you, but just make sure you have something. It can be a lifesaver.

7. Don't get stuck in a routine

Yes, routines are good — they keep us feeling secure and help us be more efficient, but monotony often causes us to become uninterested in our own lives. Go a different way to class, switch up your Starbucks order, go out on a weekday every now and then. Finding little ways to switch up your routine can be a big help and might even make you feel excited for a new day.

8. Try not to overwhelm yourself

A big part of taking care of your mental health is remembering what you can and cannot handle. If you know last semester 18 credit hours was just too much, then only take 16 this semester, and if you realized your freshman year that you hate 8 a.m. classes, then don't take any this year. Make sure you are doing your best to set yourself up for success, not failure. Your future self will thank you for those two hours, instead of 15 minutes, break between classes.

9. Volunteer or help others

A lot of people forget that helping others is a way to help ourselves if balanced correctly. Seeing the smile on someone's face with you give them food at the food bank or watching how happy the dog at the shelter is to be out of its cage not only gives you a sense of purpose, but it also can help boost confidence, decrease feelings of isolation, and reduce stress. So spend an hour every week volunteering at a local school or animal shelter, it definitely can't hurt.

10. Have fun

Although a big part of the point of college is to learn, it's also to have fun, so don't be too strict on yourself. Go out a few times a month, stay up late watching movies with your roomie, and go on midnight snack runs with your friends. There's nothing better for your mental health than doing things you enjoy with people you love (but only if you get that paper done first).

With these unprecedented and trying times ahead of us, try your hardest to take care of yourself. Stop at the dining hall for lunch and eat your favorite meal, find something fun on campus to do with your friends, or skip class if it's just too hard to get up in the morning. Do whatever you need to do to get yourself through. This will all be over soon enough.