Inclusive and Accessible Mental Health Resources for UGA students

Every Mental Health Resource You Can Use as a UGA Student

125
Photo by Dan Meyers on Unsplash

This article is meant solely to provide UGA students with crisis intervention and mental health resources, wellness programs, and specific resources for BIPOC. There is definitely something here for everyone, no matter your mental health or background so I hope this article helps you heal, destress, and thrive this year.

Suicide Prevention Month

The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) states "Suicide is a major public health concern. Over 48,000 people died by suicide in the United States in 2018; it is the 10th leading cause of death overall. Suicide is complicated and tragic, but it is often preventable. Knowing the warning signs for suicide and how to get help can help save lives." Please use these resources even if you don't think anyone around you is struggling.

Here are five action steps to help someone in emotional pain directly from NIMH:

1. ASK: "Are you thinking about killing yourself?" It's not an easy question, but studies show that asking at-risk individuals if they are suicidal does not increase suicides or suicidal thoughts.
  2. KEEP THEM SAFE: Reducing a suicidal person's access to highly lethal items or places is an important part of suicide prevention. While this is not always easy, asking if the at-risk person has a plan and removing or disabling the lethal means can make a difference.
  3. BE THERE: Listen carefully and learn what the individual is thinking and feeling. Research suggests acknowledging and talking about suicide may reduce rather than increase suicidal thoughts.
  4. HELP THEM CONNECT: Save the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline's (1-800-273-TALK (8255)) and the Crisis Text Line's number (741741) in your phone, so it's there when you need it. You can also help make a connection with a trusted individual like a family member, friend, spiritual advisor, or mental health professional.
  5. STAY CONNECTED: Staying in touch after a crisis or after being discharged from care can make a difference. Studies have shown the number of suicide deaths goes down when someone follows up with the at-risk person.

Crisis Intervention Resources

• Text 741741 from anywhere, anytime in the U.S. to chat with a trained crisis counselor through Crisis Text Online.
  • National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or Live Online Chat

The following resources are directly from the Counseling and Psychiatric Services found on the University Health Center's website.

• National Hopeline Network: 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433)
  • National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255)
    • Spanish: 1-800-273-TALK, Press 2
    • Military Veterans: 1-800-273-TALK, Press 1
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (1-800-799-7233)
  • LGBT Youth Suicide Hotline: 1-866-4-U-TREVOR (1-866-488-7386-7)
  • Crisis Text Line: Text "HOME" to 741741
    • Text anywhere, anytime, about any type of crisis and a live, trained specialist responds. That specialist helps the person through confidential counseling and providing referral information.
  • UGA CAPS Crisis Number: 706-542-2273 call to speak with a clinician during regular business hours
    • After 5 PM weekdays and on the weekends and on holidays, students can call UGA PD at 706-542-2200 and ask to speak with a CAPS clinician.
    • If you or someone you know is thinking about harming yourself or another person, cannot keep themselves safe, or is in so much distress you are unable to function in daily activities.
    • Additional After-Hours Medical Resources can be found on the Health Center's Emergencies and After Hour Care page.

Other Local Emergency Mental Health Resources:

• Georgia Crisis and Access Line (GCAL): 1-800-715-4225
    • GCAL provides 24/7 crisis intervention and referral information for Georgians in need.
  • St. Mary's Hospital ER
    • 1230 Baxter Street, Athens
    • 706-389-3000
  • Piedmont Athens Regional ER
    • 1199 Prince Avenue, Athens
    • 706-475-7000

UGA Resources

UGA Counseling and Psychiatric Services (CAPS)

• UGA Counseling and Psychiatric Services
    • Check out the CAPS Services, which include one-on-one consultation, group therapies, workshops, and more. Take advantage of your university's mental health resources!
    • Learn how to schedule a CAPS Screening Appointment (the first step to accessing UGA's CAPS services) here.
    • Counseling and Psychiatric Services FAQ
  • Let's Talk
    • is offering virtual, one-on-one, 10-15 minute informal consultations with CAPS clinicians in a series called Let's Talk (not intended to be a substitute for traditional counseling.)
    • You can sign up to speak with a clinician about concerns, get help problem-solving, and learn more about counseling services at CAPS and other resources available to you at UGA and in the Athens area.
    • This free service, which is hosted by UGA's CAPS clinicians is offered through UGA's #BeWell initiative.

Other Useful Departments to Know at UGA

Health and Wellness Services at UGA

Mindfulness Programs

• UGA Bhakti Yoga - A free yoga/meditation/mindfulness group open to all in person and virtually.
  • UGA Downward Dawgs - A free yoga club at UGA.
  • #BeWellUGA is a series of FREE wellness and prevention programs, events, and services hosted by the University Health Center. Check out all the amazing classes and services geared towards helping UGA students thrive physically, mentally, and socially. The following mindfulness and stress-relief programs are directly from the University Health Center's website.
  • Take 10 @ 2 with The Health Promotion Department
    • Join us for 10 minutes at 2pm to care for yourself! Mindfulness has been shown to help manage stress, get better sleep, and reduce anxiety.
  • Daily Mindfulness
    • Mindfulness Moment – Participate in a daily mindfulness moment with your campus community.
  • Koru Mindfulness Series
    • Join this 4-week series via Zoom for a deep dive into practical skills for mindfulness. Learn skills for managing stress, developing self-compassion, and getting restful sleep.
  • Wellness Coaching
    • A Wellness Coach will work with you to: Set and achieve personal goals, initiate and sustain wellness behaviors, and learn resilience and coping skills
  • Stay Well Series
    • Attend these virtual workshops to learn about intersecting topics and strategies for improving health and wellness.
    • Topics include: Sexual Health & Body Image, Nutrition & Body Image, and Alcohol & Other Drugs and Relationship & Sexual Violence Prevention

Stress Relief Programs

• Daily Yoga
    • Participate in free 45-minute Pilates and yoga classes at noon each day via Zoom.
  • Turn It Up Tuesdays
    • Join in via Zoom for some fun, stress relieving dance activity! A short aerobic warm-up will be given followed by simple stretches and a jazz or modern inspired dance combination. Anyone can join, from beginners to intermediate or advanced movers.
  • Tea Well Workshops and Essential Oil Workshops
    • Learn about tea, the benefits, and how it can support well-being!
    • Discuss common types of essential oils, well-being areas they support, and instructions to make the blend of the week! Essential oils have long been used in the form of aromatherapy and aid with sleep, energy, relaxation, and more.
  • Stress Relief for International Students Workshop
    • A FREE workshop focusing on learning strategies to reduce stress in a supportive environment. If you want less stress in your life, please come join us!
  • Feel Good Fridays - Well-Being Series
    • Each of these self-care activities will last about 15 minutes. Take a break from your daily routine of classes and take time to care for yourself.
    • Activities include: Paint the Arch, Arrange Your Own Charcuterie Board, and Crochet a Scarf, and Dig to De-Stress

Resources for People of Color

As we are living through a pandemic that is disproportionately affecting Black and Brown communities, continuing BLM protests and social unrest, and a year shrouded in the death of so many Black lives, I wanted to provide resources to support our BIPOC students specifically. While I, as a white person, cannot pretend to understand or speak on behalf of the experiences and struggles of people of color, I can provide accessible resources and amplify Black and Brown voices to support our BIPOC community here at UGA. To all of our non-Black students, please remember that many Black students at UGA may feel nervous returning to campus where they may not feel welcome.

The Black community is grieving the losses of so many while racial trauma and race-related stressors everyday. For Black UGA students, they are grieving and healing in a majority white space. Be mindful when fighting for change that these times will be much more difficult on our Black and Brown peers. Read this Red&Black article written by UGA student, Gabriela Miranda, which explains some of the concerns of Black students for the fall semester. She says "Black and Brown students may feel bound by the baggage of the summer and feel that weight while returning to a university where they don't feel acknowledged." The following resources are inclusive services, organizations, and information meant to support BIPOC students this year at UGA.

Mental Health Resource Directories

Reading

Podcasts and Apps