3 Merry Ways To Deal With The Pitfalls Of Mental Health During The Holidays

Sometimes, we need a little push to get through the holidays, so why not make that "push" a bit more exciting?

10499
Photo by Kelly Jiang on Unsplash

The holidays can be a rough time for many of us, who have been going through the COVID-19 pandemic. We have less of a chance to see our relatives in person and it may be unsafe to go watch the ball drop on New Year's Eve. However, there can still be ways to make sure this Christmas and New Year's is a happy and safe one. Especially for those of us who suffer from our mental health, we might need a bit of a push in order to make things work this year.

Although the holidays can be one of the happiest times of the year, it can also be one of the most stressful and even saddening times for people struggling with mental health. People who deal with mental health illnesses may feel the need for a break from the clutter that they find themselves in on a daily basis. Whether it is having trouble getting up in the morning or getting panic attacks from seeing the number of gifts to wrap this year, these things are common. But to make things work a bit more smoothly this year, try trying one of these activities.

1. Make a holiday stress ball. 

Whether it is out of felt or some simple cloth, try making a ball out of some soft, velvety material to help get yourself to feel more in the holiday spirit. It doesn't have to necessarily be specifically ornamented, but it should be decorative enough to make that anxiety attack come a bit later than it would. Try setting up a time to use it, for example when the annoying cousins come over to visit or if you know your dog might pee on the new carpet at some point. It may be better to stay prepared than never. This could also be a good way to get together with family members and friends to do a holiday activity, that just might end uplifting your spirits up.

2. Make your own New Year's Eve ball drop.

Due to the pandemic this year, it may be unlikely and difficult for many people to be able to go to New York City to watch the ball drop. Therefore, why not bring the ball to your home? The ball for the "at-home" ball drop can be made the same way you would make a pinata. It can be filled with candy canes, chocolate, or even pieces of leftover decorations. Feel free to use whatever feels fit for the occasion. Maybe even put in a surprise note or a letter for one of your family members. It is best to get creative and shock your family members and guests with something special. If you can't go see the New Year's Eve ball drop, why not bring it to you?

3. Do a special photoshoot.

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, why not use these words to prove your love for your relatives. Especially if your relatives live far away and you might know to be too sure that you will be able to see them again anytime soon, do a photoshoot where you can keep a photo of them somewhere where it would make you feel closer to them. It is always better to at least feel closer to people who may live far from you.

It may feel daunting to have to spend the holidays during a quarantine, especially if we already know we will still be struggling with our mental health at that time. So it is good to prepare in a fun way in advance, to lighten the mood when the time comes. Who knows, maybe you will feel the holiday spirits more than ever this year.