Taking A Mental Health Day Off To Recuperate

In high school, I never really missed school unless I was literally on my death bed. I could never lie and fake being sick so my parents would let me stay home from school. I had heard people at my school talk about skipping for no reason, which I did not understand. I also heard people talk about taking mental health days, meaning that they needed a day off from school in order to give themselves a mental break. I never really understood this either. I never really understood the importance of taking days off when your brain is telling you it just needs a break.

It wasn't until college when I truly understood the need for mental health days. There are truly some days when you are worn out, exhausted, and unable to focus on schoolwork. I remember some days being so overwhelmed with work and the thought of going to class after staying up late completing hours of homework was just too much. No part of me wanted to go sit in a classroom and strain myself trying to pay attention.

A lot of times, people overlook the need to recuperating, especially when it comes to mental health, and that is part of the issue. Unfortunately, mental health is still stigmatized, and people feel uncomfortable talking about it openly. People often forget where to draw the line between busy and grossly overwhelmed. People often forget that not only is it important to take care of ourselves physically but mentally as well. I remember beginning college and during that first semester, everyone was advertising the importance of getting enough sleep, taking medicine, and getting flu shots in order to avoid catching a cold. But much less often did I hear talk about seeking proper resources, taking breaks from work, and getting enough social interaction in order to protect your mental health. It is more than okay to promote the importance of mental health.

While you shouldn't miss class just because you don't feel like going, don't feel bad about missing that crazy difficult class once if you need a break from learning. As college students, it is so easy to become overwhelmed and feel overloaded with work, social events, extracurriculars, etc. That's why it is all the more crucial to prioritize your mental health, even if that means taking a couple more study breaks than usual, or missing class because you need just one more hour of sleep after completing hours of homework the night before. Mental health is just as important as physical health. Don't be afraid to put your mental health and care first.