Menacingly Mythological Monsters

Menacingly Mythological Monsters

Monsters in myths and folklore.

424
Menacingly Mythological Monsters

Throughout history there has been many magnificent mythological monsters - almost too many to count. In spirit of All Hallows Eve, I thought we might discuss a few. Here is a compilation of some fantastical creatures for your devilish delights.

I. Empusa

Empusa is a little known creature based out of general mythology. She is most normally depicted as a beautiful woman. What makes her a monster is her ability to transform into a creature with sharp teeth, flaming hair, and bat wings. Empusa was supposed to be a demigoddess that was under the control of Hecate. She was known to seduce young men who were traveling alone. When the young man fell asleep she would eat his flesh and devour his blood for sustenance

2. Typhon

Typhon was a Greek monster born by Gaia and Tartarus. He was known as the Father of all Monsters. He was massive in size and it was said that when he stood his head brushed the stars. For a tail he had two vipers, for fingers he had dragons as digits, wings that could eclipse the sun, and fire shot from his eyes. Zeus was the only Olympian that had the courage to face him and the battle almost destroyed the earth.

3. Adlet

Maybe you shouldn’t read this one if you have a pet dog. Adelts were a race of creatures in Inuit mythology. These creature supposedly had the lower half of a dog and the upper half of a man. They were depicted as being taller than that of the average human race also sometimes as cannibals.

4, Rokurokubi

The Rokurokubi is derived from Japanese folklore. There are two types of this creature and they both highly resemble humans with one major difference. The first kind has an extremely elongated neck and the other sports a head that can completely detach and fly around on its own volition. They generally where known for committing morbid deeds in the shadows of the night and sometimes draining their victims of their blood.

5. Spearfinger

Spearfinger is an aged hag derived from Cherokee folklore. She was characterized as having one sharp finger on her right hand and having stone like skin. It was said that she would use her sharp finger (that resembled a spear or an obsidian knife) to cut and kill her victims. She was also said to have a bloody mouth due to the livers she took and devoured from her victims.

6. Yuxa

Yuxa is a creature derived from Tatar culture. Yuxa is described as a beautiful damsel who would marry men in order to bear children. When Yuxa receives what she/he has come for, they will shift into a creature with a dragon's head that sometimes is depicted as spurting fire or having a venomous bite. The creature also has a reptilian body, none or two legs, and a barbed tail. When transformed into this creature, the Yuxa will either protect or terrify the surrounding people.

7. Penanggalan

Penanggalan is an alteration of the vampire myth found in the Malay. This horrifying monster is depicted as being a female detached head that flies on its own. Apparently, as it flies of its own volition, the entrails (including the stomach) dangles from the severed head.

Hopefully you found this list entertaining and/or informational. Everyone have a fun and safe Halloween!