Men Need To Take Responsibility For A Pregnancy Too

Men Always Seem To Get A Free Pass In The Abortion Debate, And I Am Sick Of It

Last time I checked, two people were required in the baby-making process.

67

The abortion debate in America goes like this; people who are pro-choice want abortion to be an option for all women, and pro-lifers believe every conceived fetus is an innocent life and should be treated as such. In a nutshell, pro-lifers want women to take responsibility for their actions and take care of the child they've made. To that, I say it takes two to tango.

Perhaps I missed the amazing evolution in women where we could suddenly produce offspring on our own, but last I checked we need the help of a man to create a child. Yet somehow, men's role as a father suddenly goes missing when the discussion of responsibility comes up. It's somehow always the women's fault that they're pregnant, and they should only be the ones responsible.

Of course, I'm not surprised by this, but it's kinda getting annoying. Most pro-lifers that I know are men, and in my many debates with them, the topic of the father's responsibility never comes up. These pro-life men will repeatedly bring up how women need to take responsibility for their actions and how the fetus' innocent life should not be taken for their stupid mistake.

If your perfect world involves women forcibly giving birth to children they didn't mean or want to conceive, where do the men stand? By rights, if a woman is forced to become a mother, the man should be forced to become a father. This thought often doesn't sit well with my male pro-lifers, and it's not hard to figure out why.

The thought of being forced into something you don't want is terrifying, but I guess male pro-lifers only care when it involves them. So here's my solution; if the thought of forcibly becoming a father to a child you didn't want bothers you, then maybe the pro-life movement isn't for you.