Remembering Our Loved Ones This Christmas

An Open Letter To Those Not With Us This Christmas

We all have loved ones who we wish were here to celebrate with us this Christmas.

42
purple sky
Personal Photo

Christmas is always a wonderful time of the year. Everyone is in the giving spirit, and looking to help others who may be less fortunate. Through all of the hustle and bustle Christmas brings, there is always that void left when someone passes away.

The void continues to grow every year. We long for the loved one to be home or be here, just for one more Christmas. One more day in general. The first Christmas after losing a loved one is always the hardest. I remember the first Christmas without my grandfather back in 2003. There was something missing. It wasn't the same.

We miss the little things about those we love that first Christmas after they go home to be with the Lord. We miss their laugh. We miss them watching us open our gifts on Christmas morning, and seeing the smiles that we have because of our gifts. We miss them opening the gifts we give them or make for them. Most importantly, we miss their presence.

The family gatherings on Christmas are not the same because that spot where they sat remains empty. Everyone talks about the memories made with that person while they were on Earth. It's tough, but it is good to remember those memories of Christmas with loved ones.

While we miss each of you that have gone on to be with the Lord this Christmas, we also have joy in our hearts. We have joy knowing that you are celebrating the birth of our Savior with the Savior Himself. You are in His glory. Even though we miss you, we remember the love, joy, and memories we made with you every Christmas. Those are what get us through the tough times.

When we are sad around this time of year, we remember making gingerbread houses with you, or going to see Christmas lights without you. We remember putting up the Christmas tree together, and baking cookies with one another. We remember the laughs we had, especially the ones where we laughed so hard we cried.

While you may no longer be with us, you left a legacy on this earth for us to follow. You made traditions for us to pass down to our children and grandchildren someday. While no gift could ever fill the void in our homes where you should be this Christmas, we have joy in our hearts because we know you are with the Lord this Christmas.

May all who have lost a loved one remember the good things about their loved one this Christmas season.