What Memorial Day Really Means

What Memorial Day Really Means

"Thank you service men and women for your sacrifice."

24
What Memorial Day Really Means
Memorial Day Facts

Memorial day is coming up and it seems that people get its true meaning mixed up. Memorial day is to remember and honor those killed in action or from wounds they received while fighting. This differs from Veteran's day which is when we observe those who have served whether they are still living or have passed away but not from combat.

The importance of knowing the difference is so those who died in action are remembered for what they have done not just having been in service. And while it may be fun to grill out, go to the beach, or play games. All of that isn't what this day is about. There's nothing wrong with doing those things but just stop and remember why you are able to enjoy them. Take at least even a minute, because they gave so much more than that. We are free because someone gave up their freedom for you to do all these things. These men and women gave the ultimate sacrifice.

Not only did men and women lose their lives but their family and friends lost them. Yes, it's about those killed but so many friends and families live never seeing their loved one come back from war. Many never get to see their new born baby or make it back for the wedding they had planned. Just keep in mind that Memorial day isn't just a day of fun for some, it's a day of deep sadness for others.

It's not just a day off from work and school, it's a day to celebrate the loved ones. Even if you don't know someone who has died from combat, it doesn't mean that no one does. Please be respectful on Memorial day and don't just act like everything is perfect because for others it's far from that. Others need you, like the people in the above photos. These people have loss sons and daughters, mothers and fathers, and friends. It's about them and more than them but the special people they are mourning over. On those tomb stones are special and honorable names.

Thank you service men and women for your sacrifice. You were truly and deeply loved, you still are but now you are also truly and deeply missed!