11 Movies To Renew Your Appreciation For Those Who Gave Their Lives In Service

Watch some of these movies and force yourself to remember, even when it hurts. Because some things matter enough to hurt over.

206
Amblin Entertainment

The least we can do after all that our men and women in uniform have done for us is take a few hours out of our weekend to remember all that they have given for us

Every one of these movies brings home the reality of so many millions of lives lost in defense of freedom, family and all they loved and left behind.

1. Saving Private Ryan

This has got to be one of my favorites of all time. Tom Hanks and the group of soldiers fighting in World War II win your heart and make you feel like you’re part of the company.

2. 13 Hours

Focusing on the 2012 Benghazi attack, it does a remarkable job of avoiding political trappings, while instead highlighting the heroism of those who risk and give their lives in service to our country.

3. Glory

Following Massachusetts’ 54th Volunteer Infantry, the first all-black volunteer company during their fight and sacrifices during the Civil War.

4. Lone Survivor

A true story of courage against all odds following four Navy SEALS in a costly mission against al-Qaeda.

5. Gods and Generals

It’s easy to forget that the Civil War was the most costly war in U.S. history in terms of lives lost. This film is an excellent depiction of both sides and the heartbreaking nature of this war pitting brother against brother in the realest terms.

6. Dunkirk

A more recent film directed by Christopher Nolan left me speechless and moved and telling everyone I knew to go see it in theaters.

7. Schindler's List

This is less of a military movie and more of movie to make you appreciate what so many gave their lives to protect/fight against. Directed by Speilberg, starring Liam Neeson, Winner of the Academy Award for Best Picture.

8. Unbroken

Following the life of Louis Zamperini through wartime and into the prison camps of the Japanese during World War II.

9. Band of Brothers

Man, this isn’t a movie, but it’s one of the most powerful depictions of the sacrifices those in our military make. You feel like you get to know the characters and it gives you just a taste of the brotherhood and loss those in service experience when they lose one of their own.

10. The Longest Day

Depicts the Allies’ D-Day invasion.

11. Black Hawk Down

This renowned modern military movie follows the U.S. Special Forces units on a peace-keeping mission to Somalia during the '90s.