Melody Of The Soul

Melody Of The Soul

The Division Of Song and Silence (Part 1)

114
Melody Of The Soul
Bing.com

This is the story of a land that was divided by tragedy. Song and Silence lived in opposition of one another with a deep gorge as the only divider between them. In Song, the sun always shone and the flowers bloomed brilliantly, but in Silence, everything withered and died. The sun could not shine there for thick, smoky clouds filled up the atmosphere. It was not always like this, however. Once, long ago, the kingdom of Song was whole and prosperous. But then something happened- something dreadful. This is where our story begins.

The land of Song was known as such because of the lovely music that emanated from the region. Strangely, it was not made by musical instruments, but by the people. Beautiful songs burst forth from the people, and yet they did not sing. They did not even have to open their mouths. The people were so radiantly joyful that the song came straight from their souls. Each song was unique and each was beautiful.

Song was ruled by a king and queen who were loving, gracious, and kind. They had a small daughter- a beautiful young girl with golden blonde curls and sparkly blue eyes. The little princess was named Melody, for from the time she was born, her soul sang day and night. Melody would walk through the village and the people would stop to listen to her beautiful song- it was somehow different, somehow more intriguing, than any song they had ever heard. Song was a land of wonder and enchantment. The days were filled with joy, love. and justice. All were happy until one fateful day. The day that changed everything.

In the late afternoon on a warm spring day, a piercing cry rang throughout the village. The chaotic frenzy was so great that the king and queen were notified. They rushed to the village, not knowing their little Melody was right behind them. They wove through the cottages to the scene of the disaster. Every soul poured forth a lament as all eyes gazed upon a sickly young maiden. Melody poked her head in the room and was very confused. Why is everyone crying? The laments of the people continued and with surprise, Melody heard the song of her parents join in with the crowd. Melody then understood the stillness. She listened closely and heard the silence within the maiden's soul.

Melody went up to her and compassionately placed her small hand on her arm. The song that came out of her was like that of a lark, slower and sadder than all the rest. Her compassion was so great that every song around her was slowly, gently silenced until only hers remained. Then something amazing happened. Wisps of silver light came tumbling out of the girl’s fingertips. Melody’s body began to glow a strange golden light around her and it enveloped both of them. To the crowd’s amazement, a second song faintly began to join in with the young princess and it gradually became stronger and stronger until it was just as loud as Melody’s. With one triumphant, glorious note, both songs ended and the maiden opened her eyes.