The Megabed: The Good, The Bad... The Unexpected?

The untold truths about finally getting your own room in college.

3110
pixabay.com

Listen, I know as well as the next person that everyone dreams of having their own room in college, especially if you have the opportunity to create the elusive Megabed. You know it, I know it… For those who don’t know it, a Megabed opportunity is when you live in a double as a single occupant, and you push the two beds together to form one massive bed. Awesome! Yeah, that’s what I thought too…

Up until this semester, I had heard stories of people living the good life and lounging on a Megabed, and I’d only seen one in person once. Yes, I was awestruck and jealous all at once; it was beautiful. Let me tell you, laying my eyes on two twin XL beds pushed together to form one of the greatest lounging opportunities to ever grace college dorm rooms was a near magical experience. Little did I know just one short year later, it would be my turn to have such a masterpiece in my dorm room.

Last semester my best friend and roommate got an AMAZING opportunity for an internship and, much to my chagrin, said internship was off campus. When I say off campus, I mean WAY off campus. As in, I’m not seeing my best friend, again, for eight months. But, as this isn't the first time we've dealt with this little situation (insert eye roll here), we marched onward into our lives of daily texts, Snapchats, and desperate attempts to coordinate schedules for ample video chat time.

Fast forward through winter break, and there I was, standing in our half-empty room, mentally configuring the new layout to my room. And yes, it is still hard for me to say my room rather than our room. Fast forward again, I’ve got all of the furniture moved, the Megabed is officially in place, and both beds are made up with my sheets and blankets. Lo and behold, the Megabed was born, and yet, it’s not right… Here is where things get complicated.

Everyone always raves about how the Megabed is the best thing to happen to them at college (come on people, you’re getting an education here!), or how everyone is so jealous of their Megabed (sure, but they don’t know yet, just wait), but no one ever talks about the downsides.

But first, the upsides: I have my own room! You’d better believe I’m psyched about having my own room. No more needing to get dressed in the bathroom if the roomie is studying. No more having to study at the uncomfortable kitchen table if the roomie is sleeping. No more needing to wear headphones if I want to watch Netflix into the wee hours of the night. And not to mention, the prestigious Megabed privileges. No more itty-bitty bed for this girl! Yeah, you’re right, it’s pretty awesome. But wait… The Megabed isn't getting off the hook that easy.

While there are some pretty sweet upsides to having my own room and having a Megabed, let’s talk about the downsides for a minute. First off, do I even need to mention the gap in between the two mattresses? Oh yes, there have been quite a few times I’ve nearly fallen through that crack in the bed, and don’t even get me started on all the items that have taken that dive. We’re talking my phone, headphones, pajamas, a laptop… The list could go on.

Secondly, call me crazy, but I don’t even use the second bed because of that god-forsaken gap between the mattresses. I mean, what’s the point of having this Megabed if I can’t even sprawl out all over it like a normal human being?

Lastly, no one ever talks about how quiet a room feels when you’re so used to living with your best friend. No more late-night life chats, snack runs, or our personal favorite, “cuddle-puddles” with ice cream and a Netflix binge. Life gets pretty quiet when you get a dorm room all to yourself. The truth is, I don’t see the hype about having my own room or the Megabed anymore.

Megabed, you’re pretty cool, but I’d choose living in a double room with my bestie over a single room with you any day.

P.S. Please don’t tell my parents I miss having a roommate, my sister and I fought really hard to get our ow rooms when I was 12-years-old.