Meet the Reporter: Christmas Edition

Meet the Reporter: Christmas Edition

When my family meets peculiarity.

2
Meet the Reporter: Christmas Edition
Karina Martinez

Ever since the Martinez family started growing we started building our very own traditions. Having a Christmas theme, wearing pajamas on Christmas Eve, dressing as elves and Mr. and Mrs. Claus, dressing glamorous, etc. All those are the brilliant ideas that aunt Karina suggests every year. We eat dinner and then we wait in the living room either playing games or dancing. When midnight strikes we hug each other as "Las Mañanitas" play in the background. It's my cousin's birthday, he was born on Christmas Day 16 years ago. Also, in our family, we tend to open our Christmas gifts when midnight strikes. Every year a member of the family is the one who gives out the gifts. This year was my turn. Once everyone has opened their gifts we proceed to keep dancing following the lead of uncle Jesus, the life of the party. And the celebration goes on until everyone starts getting sleepy and finds a spot at grandma's little cozy house to sleep at. In the morning, she always prepares an additional dish special for the hungover. Birria, pozole, menudo, cabeza. My grandma's cooking is always the highlight of the celebration.

I like our traditions, I like having a very funny and peculiar family. Perhaps our traditions might look simple and common but is different from when you are there to experience it yourself. We always come up with ideas to make this date a very special one. As members of the family are getting older and starting to create their own families I hope that in the future we can keep these traditions and include some more. This is why I like spending Christmas at the Martinez's house, I hope you can join us one time and you will see what I'm talking about.