Has the paparazzi gone too far?

Celebrities Are Real People To But They Have No Privacy Thanks To The Paparazzi

You might think that we shouldn't feel bad for these celebrities, but, at the end of the day, they are real people.

56

For my whole life, I have always wanted to be famous. The idea of everyone knowing who you are and having endless amounts of money sounded like a dream come true. But, in today's society, I don't think I would actually want that. Celebrities today are constantly scrutinized in the media, with rumors posted online and paparazzi following their every move.

I'll admit, I am the first person to be read all the latest E! News articles, but I also believe that the media has gone too far at times. There is a difference between an interview done by a reputable news source, one based off of statements given by celebrity, and rumors accompanied by unwarranted paparazzi shots.

With social media, it is so much easier for the paparazzi to post their photo to TMZ, and within minutes the whole world can have access to it. You are always in the public eye, and not just photos of you, but every decision you make--they will be judged.

Kylie Jenner said that one of the reasons she didn't want to announce her pregnancy earlier this year was because she was worried for her mental health. She knew that if she had announced her pregnancy to the world, her decisions and life would be ripped apart by the media, and she would become the headline of every magazine.

Especially in times of privacy, the media has gotten too invasive. I know the latest gossip is what everyone wants to know, but, at some point, it gets to be too much. Take, for example, the constant media coverage surrounding Lindsay Lohan and Brittany Spears during their downward spirals. These two young women have been in the spotlight since they were very young, which they both said attributed to their struggles. During their mental breakdowns, they were harassed by paparazzi, all in the name of selling another photo or story.

These people really struggled, and all the media did was tried to exploit them. They did not help. They did not care. Just exploitation.

I understand that this is the news that people are interested in, but it doesn't mean paparazzi have to invade their privacy. Demi Lovato is another example: after her recent overdose, TMZ released an article and photo of her during her rehab stay. She obviously wanted to keep her time in rehab private and is not trying to be in the public eye, but TMZ posted a photo and story speculating about her and her ex-boyfriend.

The paparazzi and media will even go after kids. Growing up is hard enough, let alone your formative years being scrutinized by mass media and the public. Stars like Amanda Bynes, Britany Spears, Lindsay Lohan, Miley Cyrus, Demi Lovato, the Jenners and Justin Bieber have been watched by millions since a young age, and many of them have said they have struggled later in life because of stress caused by the media.

Think about Justin Bieber. He has been over-exposed in the media since age 13, and, as he got older, he snapped. He has even gotten into physical fights with paparazzi. While I am not defending all of his past actions, I'm just pointing out that the stresses of life are so much harder when the world watches you struggle.

I love celebrity gossip as much as then next person, but I do think it's important that we remember that celebrities are real people, just like us. The paparazzi photos and rumors are an invasion of their privacy. Nobody is going to be perfect if they were followed around 24/7 by cameras. You might think that we shouldn't feel bad for these celebrities, as they are incredibly rich and successful, all for doing what they love. But at the end of the day, they are just real people.