The Great American Meatout Is A Real Thing, But Meatless Is A Choice You Can Make Every Single Day

Meatout comes once a year. Meatless is everyday.
95

Every year, the first day of spring marks the anniversary of Great American Meatout. The event is a campaign to promote a meatless lifestyle because of the health and environmental benefits.

I've been vegetarian for a little bit over two years now, and I can't imagine eating meat ever again. Originally, I became vegetarian because of the health benefits, but as I read more, met more meatless and plant-based people, and educated myself about a meatless lifestyle, I realized going meatless goes a lot further than just being healthy.

Though many observe the Meatout every spring, they don't devote themselves to the lifestyle because they don't really understand the benefit, or point of the campaign. Many think of the Meatout as just a fun way to bring in spring, to rejuvenate, and feel like you actually have your life together for a day. Again, going meatless goes a lot further than just beginning healthily...or giving the illusion of healthiness.

First of all, a meatless lifestyle will help save water. I am one of those liberal hippies who believe in climate change, and the potential of us draining the world of water doesn't surprise me. Maybe that's where all the water on Mars went. 1lb of meat takes 2,400 gallons of water! The less meat we eat, the more water we'll have, which is something we actually need to survive.

In most cases, eating meat is optional.

Not only does a meatless lifestyle save water, but it also helps maintain a cleaner atmosphere. Animals, in general, produce a lot of methane gas. With the millions (maybe more) farms that we have in the United States alone, we are releasing masses of methane into the environment

Since I've educated myself about the environmental benefits of a meatless diet, and how it can improve life on earth for everyone, I began implementing more vegan options into my diet. One day, I do hope to be vegan - maybe solely plant-based, but for now, I try to do the best with what I have.