what thanksgiving means to people
Family Friends

The Meaning Of Thanksgiving: GCU Edition

Is there more to Thanksgiving?

84
pixabay.com

Thanksgiving is objectively the best time of the year. Smack dab in the middle of Halloween season and Christmas season. Thanksgiving gives us a breather and a chance to reflect on our blessings in life and love on our friends and family. For many people, we think of Thanksgiving as the time of year when turkeys are being cooked, stuffing is being packed, and pumpkin pie is coming out of the ovens. For many college students, it's about figuring out plane tickets and travel plans to go home and spend time with our families.

The hustle can be as strenuous during this time of the year as it is around Christmas. Not to mention getting together with family members you may not get along with can add in additional stress. Ultimately though, we try to push those feelings aside to make the most out of this amazing holiday.

But really, isn't there more to Thanksgiving? Isn't it more than the food, leaf wreaths, and classroom turkey projects? I decided to go around Grand Canyon University to ask students what Thanksgiving meant to them.

media3.giphy.com

Deandre, Sophomore: "It's basically a renewal of love for your family."

Peter, Freshman: "Family, football, and rolls!"

Jessica, Sophomore: "Being thankful for everything that God has blessed me with and spending time with family and friends."

Cameron, Junior: "The time of year when my family can all get together to eat, talk, and have a good time. One of the best times of the year in my opinion."

Edessa, Sophomore: "A time where we get together with our loved ones and cherish all the blessings the Lord has given."

Pharaoh, Freshman: "Time to hang out with family."

Liz, Senior: "The time of year when I can practice my cooking skills with my mom, and also when I get to see my extended family."

Jed, Freshman: "Being with family for one day, despite all the setbacks and problems throughout the year."

Clarissa, Freshman: "Another excuse to make tamales!"

Rachel, Junior: "The one time of year I get to travel in an airplane to go and visit my family in Maine."

Stephan, Senior: "A time to give thanks to God for everything I have and when I can reflect on my blessings."

Jeanne, Sophomore: "The time to pull out my Christmas album CD's."

Leo, Sophomore: "Being able to eat as much as I want without being judged, getting to eat my Grandma's tres leche cake, and my family's roasted pumpkin guacamole and cilantro lime turkey. Did I mention the food?"

Marcus, Junior: "Coming together as a family despite differences and space between us."

While food and the seasonal hoopla definitely played a part in peoples answers, the most common answers included things such as family, togetherness, and (of course) giving thanks! Everyone wants to rush past Thanksgiving to get to Christmas, but those people don't know what they are missing.

This is a special time of the year, and I hope everyone can remember what is most important in our lives.