Author And Artisan Mayurie On Launching A Bindi Empire

Founder Of Color Q&A: Author And Artisan Mayurie On Launching A Trend-Starting Bindi Empire

Mayurie, Founder of Bindi Babe Online is the Author of: The Diary of a BindiBabe, a series of semi-fiction memoirs based on true events.

776

On February 12, 2014, Indian Artisan Mayurie (meaning 'Peacock" in Hindi) set out on the entrepreneurial launch that changed her life forever.

The owner of Bindi Babe Online found a now-expanding niche market while simultaneously publishing her short stories in The Diary of a BindiBabe. Setting her own trends through the wave of Bindi Babe, she's built her own platform to educate us all on the power and origin of the Bindi.

I had the delightful pleasure of speaking with her in May. She had wonderful advice and insight to share with fellow women of color!

"I'd like to empower the ladies out there who have a business or an idea. I encourage you to find your fulfillment and that you can do a lot with your time if you work smart. I live by example and I am making a personal career change in my life. I want to have a career in the art world so I am reeducating myself. I am completing my studies in Art History. I am running Bindi Babe as I am preparing myself for my next chapter in life. I like to go really in depth within my projects and everything I've worked on whether it is designing, writing, networking, or rebranding." - Mayurie

For years, Mayurie has been bringing awareness to the Indian Bindi as a 'jewel' by innovating one of the most nuanced and elegant aspects of Indian culture.

What started as a small idea has now, years later, blossomed into thousands of fans and followers who form a network of Bindi Babe's worldwide.

But, what she started isn't just a business — it's a reflection of her, her artistry, and the incredible community the modern babe manifested.

How do you feel about the fact that many countries and cultures all over the world have adopted the use of the traditional Indian Bindi?

Personally from the heart I've felt I carry a sense of responsibility to educate my consumers about the culture of the bindi and it is more about the level of service on informing the Bindi Babes about the beauty of sharing this brand.

I think it is important for my consumers to really understand the mission statement of Bindi Babe, which is about women empowerment by honor and respect.

How do you measure success, and has it changed since your launch in 2014?

From the marketing data I've gathered over time I've realized it has been a really interesting journey because in the beginning I didn't have many South Asian consumers and I've seen a growth from the South Asian community where they are wanting to find a more modern bindi.

Initially, I was a niche in the beauty industry in terms of accessories and availability where now I've been expanding at a steady rate.

However, from the last year I've seen a gradual increase, which has been a positive feedback from my rebranding. I've chosen to use a diary platform on my website, which allows me to see where my consumers are looking for more information about the bindi.

I use my digital marketing to help educate consumers about the bindi as much as I can while sharing my own personal journey as a Bindi Babe.

What was your favorite project design and how fast did it sell out?

My favorite has to be the luxurious Simplicity Design, which has been updated over time. It is now the Real Diamond Bindi. I find the Real Diamond Bindi to be a high-quality gemstone.

This design is everything to me especially for young women because usually when you're married you wear the red bindi.

I have a true passion for luxury and providing that for others through my roots.

The project design that was the best seller was the bindi design I named after my first Saudi Arabian best friend, Marooj. Another best seller was called Coachella for those who love attending music festivals.

I wanted to create a design for people who genuinely enjoy promoting the Indian bindi in a beautiful sense.

I will be releasing a new updated design of Marooj called Jungle.

How can entrepreneurs and brands express plans for collaboration with you and Bindi Babe?

You can always email me or DM me. I am looking for collaborations with companies that have core values in women empowerment and helping with women's rights.

I recently collaborated with an Italian illustrator who drew inspiration from my designs.

An opportunity that is sustainable and that can stand the test of time is what I find most appealing. As long as there is a cause that can add value to the world I feel it would be a great pursuit.

What can we expect to see in the future, and what would you like them to see more of? 

I am working on my online diary more where I want my writing to inspire and educate women all over the world while creating a Bindi Babe community.

I am focusing on my online diary because I would like my journey as a founder and as an Indian woman who cultivates the Bindi Babe community to be a book one day as a surprise for my Bindi Babes.

Furthermore I would love to finalize my Bridal Beauty collection inspired by the Indian woman.

I want to use my creativity, resourcefulness, and my culture to provide luxury for bridal wear. We are looking forward to the Real Diamond Bindi project as only the beginning for our Bindi Babes!

Any new collaborations? When will the new batch drop?

Diwali is nearby in November. I am hoping to drop my next batch of designs beforehand so my Bindi Babes can celebrate the New Year lavishly.

I am collaborating with Maalicious, which is a New York-based jewelry brand by a South Asian businesswoman supporting the Indian Artisans. Maalicious has been featured in British Vogue, and Cosmopolitan India. I designed a two-piece earring that you can transition into three different ways. Our collaborative earring design can either be worn simply as earrings or transition to a nose ring or an ear cuff.

This new piece is a start into Bindi Babe's journey into jewelry. This collaboration is synonymous with innovation, sustainability, and a considerate way to build.