Maybe Girls Aren't Basic, They Are Just Fashionably Safe

Instead of viewing fashion trends as overused, perhaps, we should view them as fashion staples; because girls aren't trying to look like each other, they are trying to be comfortable.

89

When girls buy clothing, shoes, etc., that happen to be relatively popular in mainstream society, they are often categorized as "basic". The term basic in this sense has gained a relatively negative connotation.

People think that because girls buy items that are popular among a lot of people that they are lacking individuality, but could it be that girls are just playing it safe? Safe in this sense means that they know they won't get scrutinized because most people will probably also think what they are wearing is stylish and it requires less effort to plan what they will be wearing.

White Converse, Adidas Superstars, off the shoulder shirts, the combination of XL shirts with athletic shorts, are just some of the fashion trends that will get you called "basic" right about now. Girls might choose white Converse or Adidas because they tend to "match" a lot of articles of clothing that they already own.

Instead of spending money on multiple pairs of shoes, why not choose versatile ones that will go with more? T-shirts, especially oversized ones worn with athletic shorts are all the rage on college campuses. It's the perfect combination of not looking too sloppy while not looking like they're trying too hard. Maybe these girls have found fashion hacks and not fashion basics.

If we took a different approach to the way we view popularizing certain fashion trends at once, then we could break the stigma that the fashion commonalities are basic, and instead view them as modern-day fashion staples. There are certain things in the fashion world that will never be viewed as basic because they have proven to be timeless; such as, denim jackets, white shirts with denim jeans, little black dresses, etc.

These don't seem to get a negative response when numerous people are sporting them all the time, so why is it that we have cut off the ability to create new fashion staples?

People may never see these "basic girl" trends walking down a runway during fashion week, but they are being seen all the time in everyday life. Maybe girls aren't basic, but are just fashionably safe, wearing what they know will make them relatable to others. Sometimes people emphasize having individuality so much that we forget that commonality makes us relatable.

So before we go around giving basic a negative connotation, we should stop and see the beauty behind the madness, that maybe basic means comfortable, relatable, safe, and not lacking individuality.