The Month Of May Is All About Celebrations And Remembrances, But Why Only On Certain Days?

There have been a lot of sacrifices made by our mothers, teachers, and soldiers and they definitely deserve our respect

158
Unsplash.com

So, it’s the month of May, the month when a lot of celebrations and times of remembrance take place.

While these days are wonderful, why wouldn't we celebrate our mothers each day and our teachers each day?

How about the men and women who risk their lives for this country, shouldn’t we remember to pray for their families each day, not just for one day?

Mother’s Day comes around the second weekend of May each year. You always know when Mother’s Day is coming up as there are TV ads for flowers and jewelry. You can walk through Target and see a big aisle just devoted to Mother’s Day cards. People post about how thankful they are for all of the mothers on that special day. It may even be the only day when you decide to bring your mother breakfast in bed.

Now all of this is wonderful. It is great that we have this day to celebrate our moms, but have you ever noticed how much mothers sacrifice on a daily basis?

Who picks out the clothes you wear?

Who drives you to school or even brings you lunch if you forgot it?

Who plans those family events and then cleans up the house to prepare the next meal?

Whether you are in a bad mood or a good mood, no matter what, mom is there.

As stated by President Abraham Lincoln, “I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life.”

Never take your mother for granted as she is a huge part of your life. So, tell your Mom you are grateful for what she does for you each and every day. Don’t be embarrassed by your mother's love because you know she will not be around forever.

Teacher Appreciation Day, another May celebration, is a day that we celebrate the teachers that we have had for the school year. As I look back on my school years, even though I had some teachers who I didn't quite fit in with, I still had some of those teachers who I have remained friends with.

My teachers inspired me to get out of my shell and go up in front of the class for show and tell. I have had teachers who would have fun conversations about sports and life. There have also been some teachers that if it weren't for their impact, I wouldn't have been the person I am today.

So what I'm saying is that we should be thankful for our teachers and what they have sacrificed for us. Look, they were the ones that taught us about why we needed to know English, Math, Science, History, Art and even a foreign language. They also have to deal with kids who want to learn and kids who do not have any interest in school. Multiply that by 30 or sometimes 40 screaming children and you can understand that it takes someone special.

How about the fact that work does not stop at the office? It comes home with grading papers and developing lesson plans. Also, even worse, they have to pay for their own supplies for their classroom. Teachers have to fight for better education for the children and their pay certainly does not match the effort. I'm proud of the teachers from the ”Red for Ed" movement in the states of Arizona, Colorado, Oklahoma, Kentucky, and West Virginia for walking out of their classrooms and protesting for school funding and higher wages.

It has been teachers that have taught us, inspired us, and gotten us on the right path for our careers. We should be thankful for them each and every day.

Memorial Day, is hard for a lot of families as it is the day people recognize and remember the sacrifice that their family members make for this country. You see, there is also a day called National Peace Officers Memorial Day, as this day is to remember the officers who died in the line of duty.

We should never look at Memorial Day as just a day off of work or school, or the day we get great discounts at department stores. We should look at it as a day to pray for the families who have lost loved ones. Pray, we should on every day not just on Memorial Day.

As President John F. Kennedy stated, "As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter the words but to live by them."

Each day we should live as people who are thankful for those that protect our cities and our country.

So now that you have given this some thought. It is pretty easy to see that we should celebrate and remember all of these people each and every day. Without them, our lives would not be so fulfilled. So, say thank you to your mom for all the support she has given you.

Thank all those the teachers who helped you achieve over the years. Finally to the families who have lost loved ones, pray for them and for soldiers and police offers. Let them know that God is watching over them.