Marvel Heroines Replace Disney Princesses

Why Marvel Heroines are replacing Disney Princesses

They do the saving. They do not need to be saved.

34

We have all read the books and seen the movies; therefore, there is no question when it comes to the fact Disney Princess movies are characterized by a helpless "princess" in need of her dominantly masculine "prince" hero. The idea that a metaphorical "prince" will come and save you from your financial or adulthood obligations, difficult boss, or unforeseen life circumstances is just as unrealistic as it is derogatory to young girls reading such fictional stories or watching these movies.

Young girls are highly influential. Such fictional stories that circulate around 'being saved' versus taking proactive measures to save yourself result in a victimized mentality or a lackadaisical attitude towards taking initiative for one's future.

Contrary to the Disney Princesses, the Marvel Heroines, especially featured in the last EndGame Movie, represent the true womanhood society has been pushing women to move towards. These women not only call the shots, but also are illustrated as equals to their male counterparts and, most importantly, these women do the saving!

The Marvel female characters in the EndGame (of which young girls are now role modeling) are as follows:

Captain Marvel, Mantis, Black Widow, Pepper Potts, Peggy Carter, The Wasp, Scarlet Witch, Shuri, Valkyrie, and Okoye.

With a slew of strong female examples, young girls are now turning their attention away from the typical pink dresses, and now paying a closer attention to a woman's role in battle and in the world. As compared to the Disney Princesses, each of the Marvel characters thinks and acts for herself. She is independent, serving her duty to the common good of society. In the Disney movies, however, the princesses are portrayed as victims to abuse or misfortune and need someone or something else to save them.

This is the 21st century, post women's right to vote and post equal opportunity. We are in a new era of maintaining and defending the women's rights we have received, so why continue to influence young girls with a false mentality that they need someone else to solve their problems or make the world a better place? The answer is that they don't. We don't. The Marvel movies, especially EndGame, capture the reality of the past century that women are self-sufficient and independent and do not need saving. They do the saving.