Marvel/ DC Should Smash Trump/ Pence

Marvel/ DC Should Smash Trump/ Pence

Can you imagine iconic Cap/Hitler punch 2.0?

5
Marvel/ DC Should Smash Trump/ Pence
Creative Commons

Superheroes have always been a manifestation of our collective conscience. Also, they represent the best of us and embody ideologies that we admire and uphold. Since the election ended on November 8th, they’re has been a tare in the fabric of America and positive change is needed. One of the many ways to fight this fear is through the art. The art of comics. Comics have had political agendas and the polarity of our current situation calls for people with strong influences to show that they care.

Here are some of those strong individuals and what story arcs can be manifested from our current political climate:

Captain America

Was there any doubt? America is in his name. Joe Simon and Jewish comic writer, Jack Kirby, created Captain America back in 1940. Captain America represents the ideals and principles of what America should stand for and what the country should fight against. The iconic cover of him punching Adolf Hitler in the face says it all. He was the poster boy for American War Propaganda. He was the super solider that put a stop to Nazi Germany before being put on ice. In modern times, he battles within himself, the grey area that he is not accustomed to. 2016 has that same feeling.

What was then called Nazis are now called the “alt right”, which should be debunked. Captain America is the right guy to do that. Nazis are kind of his expertise. Donald Trump is a fascist. Captain America’s main enemy is a neo-fascist terror organization called Hydra. It would be amazing to have a story surrounding Captain America protesting hate groups or Neo-Nazi rallies, or stopping colonization of land and rid of the FBI in North Dakota. Protests turn into riots, Hydra backs these riots, and Captain America has to shut down the organization along with the future presidency.

The X-Men

These groups of mutants were created in response to the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s. Professor Xavier and his team represents the Martin Luther King Jr. mentality of turning the cheek, while Magneto’s Brotherhood of Mutants present a more Malcolm X approach but on steroids. Trump's administration can call for a new anti-mutant platform and can give an order to “cleanse” mutants, a way to rid of their X-gene/powers or “conversion” as Mike Pence would put it.

The X-Men are already outsiders as it is, now imagine them having to be registered to live here, kicked out, or be put into cells because they’re deemed “terrorists”. Maybe this could be a great opportunity for Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters to be a safe place for individuals that feel scared and refugees. The X-Men can have support teams, where they go to progressive locations they could defend in case of a potential altercation. These places can include Plan Parenthood clinics, LGBTQ clubs, activist’s organizations, and more; all the while, the team is worrying who can be coming after them and their families.

Black Panther

He has fought the KKK in the American South, has Ph.D. in Physics from Oxford University, and is a King. The dude is badass.

The Black Panther is the ceremonial title given to the chief of the Panther Tribe of the advanced African nation of Wakanda. In addition to ruling the country, he is also chief of its various tribes. The Panther is a symbol of office (head of state) and is used even during diplomatic missions. T’Challa became the Black Panther and was the first black hero in mainstream American comics. With Chadwick Boseman’s "Black Panther" coming to screen in 2018 and having an all black cast, the African King of Wakanda is due for some spotlight and what better way then to use him for diplomacy with international relations, particularly the U.S.

Black Panther can create a partnership between the U.S. Government and Wakanda, where they can trade. Being king, he can provide them with resources that they need and embark on a journey in a fearful America, where the term “post-racial society” is a myth, realizing things are far off worse than he feared. The U.S. government sees him as a rising threat and attacks his homeland’s sovereignty. Black Panther goes home to protect his kingdom from further invasion following a mission to infiltrate the U.S. Government since dialogue is no longer an option.

Green Arrow

I am sure this choice comes off as unusual but Green Arrow has always had a strong activist and progressive background. His roots are deep in social commentary thanks to the work of Neal Adams and Dennis O’Neil. They made Green Arrow radical and fight issues such as nuclear energy, drugs, and HIV. In an iconic issue called Snowbirds Don’t Fly, Green Arrow’s sidekick, Speedy, is addicted to heroin and Green Arrow has to give an intervention. The Snowbirds Don't Fly arc won the 1971 Shazam Award for "Best Individual Story", since it spoke to the drug issues of the 1960s and 1970s.

Now imagine Green Arrow’s city is in chaos where Trump supporters are attacking citizens with non-lethal weapons. Green Arrow has always fought for the little guy and he could be the hero protecting those people by beating the crap out of those haters. By day as billionaire Oliver Queen, he could go about his philanthropist ways and give money to those who need it to continue funding progressive inclusive projects or grass root non-profits.

Wonder Woman

It is her time to shine. This year marks her 75th Anniversary. Also, she was made an honorary ambassador to the United Nations, Entertainment Weekly ranked her #1 on their list of most powerful superheroes, and "Wonder Woman"starring Gal Gadot comes out next year. It will be the first blockbuster comic book film starring a heroine ( "Catwoman and "Elektra"were shit, let's be real).

She is the ultimate feminist icon and holds the value of honesty close to her heart. Her creator, William Marston, set out to commercialize the invention of the polygraph when he embarked on a career in entertainment and comic book writing. Some have linked the polygraph device to the Lasso of Truth associated with Wonder Woman. With the future conservative house and senate, Wonder Woman could play the role of ambassador, in turn breaking the glass ceiling and trying to consult with them on how to stop the hatred and regime without creating a civil war, since she is a warrior of peace. She could also discuss these matters with various nations. Just make sure if there is a war you're on the right side (pssst, her side.)

Superman

Created by two Jewish kids from Cleveland in 1938, Superman has always represented the immigrant, in his case, an alien from the planet Krypton. He is an outsider looking in, wondering how we as humans are as a culture. Why is this? Superman is a refugee and struggles with finding his place in the world even though he is the mightiest of them all. The Syrians are currently going through their own refugee struggle, trying to find safe places and solace across the world. Imagine if baby Superman landed in Kansas and the Kent’s did not find him. How dreary is his future? Having a symbol of hope like Superman can truly inspire.

Much like Superman battling the Cold War in The Dark Knight Returns or fighting as a Soviet Union leader in the elseworld story, Superman: Red Son, a story of Superman fighting the war in Syria would be truly epic. Seeing Superman bringing people to safety or scanning rubble for life could give the message that America is here to help and that Syrians are welcomed here regardless of whatever creed or conduct Donald Trump tries to put up.