Marking Time with Promotion and Relegation.

Nothing marks a year of change better than promotion and relegation.

7
Sky Sports

If you haven't been following the European game recently, you've probably missed a lot. Besides the typical Champions League headlines and Premier league title drama, there are other interesting stories around Europe coming to fruition everyday and those stories involve promotion and relegation.

Promotion and Relegation is a concept where the worst teams from a better quality league go down to a lower quality league because they aren't good enough to compete in that league. Meanwhile, the clubs below them who were "too good" for that lower quality league, go up. It is a sporting system based on merit not money. This annual tradition has been going on in the European game for more than 100 years, albeit in different systems.

Promotion and Relegation is ultimately what makes club soccer different. It gives clubs of all kinds (big and small) the chance to work their way up the soccer pyramid to the best league in their given country based on performances on and off the field. This system may be financially ruthless but is has provided some amazing stories over the past few years.

For example this year, Brighton Hove and Albion will be going to the Premier League (under its current format) for the first time in their history. Just under a decade ago, the club was on the verge of being relegated from League 2 (the fourth division of english football)! Now after building a new stadium, consolidating debts, and bringing in proper coaching and scouting, Brighton are making history, putting the sea side city on the European soccer map.

There have been multiple examples of Sunderland AFC improbably performing the great escape in the past four years. Sunderland has often sat bottom of the Premier League at Christmas, firing multiple managers then beating Newcastle in the Tyne-Wear Derby in late April, finding their form and ultimately salvation when it matters most.

Of course there are also those stories of heart break for fans who clubs were relegated on the last day by either goal differential or just one point. This is the hardest part to watch but it is must watch television (unless you're a fan of that club).

However; the Promotion and Relegation system in world football doesn't only just provide great stories and drama annually but it has become a way to mark time.

Every April and May, just like in school comes a time for self-reflection for me (about the year that was). I often think about what I accomplished academically, the friends I have made, and what my goals are for the coming semester after summer break.

Promotion and relegation gives fans of the game the chance to do exactly that, reflect on the year, accept whatever their fate may be, and be ready for the coming season ahead. It is a way of marking time and gives fans of the global game, a chance to refresh as new clubs come into the fray bringing new stories, showing that no season or year for that matter is truly the same.

This I ultimately think is the reason why pro-rel is so pleasing because it gives fans who watch the game a chance to reflect on the year, refresh, and get excited again for the new season ahead, which will be filled with a few different clubs and players.