Why The March For Our Lives Matters

Why The March For Our Lives Matters

Is the government a dysfunctional system?

1244
Why The March For Our Lives Matters

Saturday, March 24, 2018, was the March for Our Lives, with marches going on across the country and even in Washington. It is a march demonstrating the need for gun control in our country and protesting the lack of action made by policymakers after every school shooting that happens. They have become a normality within our society. It is normal for a kid to wonder if today is the day a shooter will come to their school. But yet all our answer is to do is increase lockdown drills within our schools. Why? Why have we neglected to see the impact on our society and children? How many young children's lives will it cost to show policymakers that we desperately need change now?

It is a dysfunctional system that just seems to be getting worse. In the past three months, we have had seventeen school shootings and that is only for this year. In 2017 there were 65 shootings in total. What is the number that will finally make us or our government realize that enough is enough? We are done with the lack of responsibility the government has taken to protect our children. Why should we allow semi-automatic weapons be in the hands of the eighteen-year-olds?

The second amendment is a weak excuse. No one needs a semi-automatic weapon to hunt or defend themselves. All it does is cause fear and uncertainty within our society. Conservatives think that taking away the rights of minorities, LGBTQ members, and women is justified but taking away their guns is a violation of their rights. The constitution was meant to be amended and added on to, the only thing important right now is the right to speak freely. So what are your thoughts on the march?