To A 'Man's Best Friend' That Was Gone Too Soon

Or, in this case, a woman's best friend.

11
Personal

Dogs are a man's best friend, or rather, in this case, a woman's best friend. Recently, the dog I had since I was 10 years old passed away. This had been the second dog from my childhood that we have had to put down, and it never gets any easier. Letting a dog go is one of the hardest things to do. My parents have made that hard decision twice.

Lily, the yorkie, was a sweet diva who could make you laugh with one wag of her tail. She could put a smile on your face with her toothless grin. Also, she could snatch a treat out of your hand faster than you could the say the word, "Treat." She was fearless and didn't put up with anything from any person or dog. However, she became ill and a shell of her former self. She wasn't eating, and when the veterinarian told us of her kidney failure, we knew it was time to let her go even if 10 years didn't seem like a long enough time with her.

It's hard having to put down a dog. It is never something you want to do, and you wish there was more you could do. However, I don't regret the decision to let her go, because it was better than attempting to maybe alleviate her pain without knowing if we even were. Now, it is hard to go home and not shout a dog's name, and not hear them padding along behind you. However, while you may walk with a dog behind you for a short time, you are there for the walk their whole life. A dog's love is selfless and carefree. Never take a dog for granted because you never know when it could be the last time giving them a treat or seeing them wag their tail.

For those with dogs, treat them right. They don't know anything more than what you teach them. For those thinking about adopting or buying a dog, really consider it. Dogs are more work and time than they seem, and so many dogs nowadays end up in kill shelters because the owner didn't realize this. This is what leads to thousands of innocent healthy dogs being put down. Do your research and find the best fit for you.

Luckily, I got to see Lily from the beginning of her puppyhood to the end of her lifetime. It was a great ride, and I know somewhere in Heaven she's running around as healthy as she once was with a belly full of her favorite dog treats probably jamming to old rap songs like Colt 45. Don't take a dog's life for granted, because while they're only there for a short time of your life, you are their entire life.