Manic Is Halsey's Best Album To Date And You Can't Change My Mind

Halsey really put her heart and soul into every one of these songs and it really shines through.

9

Halsey released her third studio album about two weeks ago, and I am in love. I have never seen an artist be so transparent and genuine on an album before. Halsey really put her heart and soul into every one of these songs and it really shines through. So today, I am going to breakdown why every song is magnificent.

Ashley

I think this is an amazing start to the album. This is the most 'Halsey' song on the entire album, which I think is great because she starts the album with a sound her listeners are use to. However, the lyrics are just so poetic and beautiful. I specifically like, "I only want to die some days." It really hits on another level that no other Halsey song or album has touched before - at least for me. And when she hits those notes in 'days' I get chills. You can truly hear the emotion in her voice. Absolutely stunning. I also really enjoy the background of the lyric video. It looks like a test you take before going to see a therapist, which I think is an interesting move for this song.

clementine

I think clementine is such an interesting song, but I also completely relate to the lyrics and why they were written. I love the soft lullaby sound of the song, paired with the "I don't need anyone / I just need everyone and then some." Halsey said in her interview with Apple Music that she puts on this front that she doesn't need anyone, while in fact she really does enjoy having people around and loves a lot of people. I really relate to this concept and I truly think this song is beautiful.

Graveyard

I adore Graveyard.I think my two favorite lines from this song are, "It's crazy when, the things you love the most are a detriment, let that sink in." As well as," It's funny how, the warning signs can feel like they're butterflies." ending with the big gulp of air. I think this was a beautiful move, and when referring to the music video, it seems to represent drowning and struggling to air. This is really such a beautiful song, and this one also stays true to that classic Halsey sound we all know.

You should be sad

I love this song so much! Also, the music video is so iconic! I love the idea of Ashley saying 'YOU should be sad' instead of having something where she is sad. I think this is a very empowering song even though it is about some regrets she has. I love the line, "You're not half the man you think that you are." I also love the slight square dance tone to the music. I think it's a really funny, but amazing, move for the album. You would never pin Halsey as someone who would do a music video in a cowboy hat nor as someone to dabble in country music sounds, but it all works out amazingly.

Forever... (is a long time)

I love the lullaby sound in the beginning of this with such self-aware words over them. Also the moment when she starts saying, "just right" over and over, it's such a chilling moment. This entire song is such an interesting, dark ballad. I love the long piano moment in the middle, it's so beautiful. And the line, "I could not hold a perfect thing and not demolish it." Followed by the static and bass drums, it's so incredible.

Dominic's Interlude

This song is such a happy sounding song, especially in the beginning. I love that Halsey brought Dominic on this album. I think his voice fits very well on the track and it really fits right in with the rest of the album. Short and sweet, absolutely perfect.

I HATE EVERYBODY

I love how this song starts with the same tune Dominic's Interlude ends with. I love the fact that Halsey uses the phrase, "I hate everybody." to express the fact that she really doesn't hate everybody. I think it really shows a vulnerability that a lot of people don't have the capacity to share. The lines, "If I can't make you love me, then maybe you can make me love me. And if I can't make you love me then maybe I'll hate everybody." Are such incredible lines that really express that vulnerability I mentioned from before. I think it also expresses a feeling many people deal with as they are maneuvering their lives.

3am

This is the most punk rock song on the album and I adore it. I know the lyrics really express something so many people go through very often. Especially in this tinder dating age; a lot of people live in this life of consistently calling different people for various reasons, but they still feel that they end up alone. I also just really love the classic pop punk sound of the song. It really takes me back to my teenage years listening to Paramore.

Without Me

We all know this song, and we have loved it for almost a year now. This song is really something special to me. I was going through a rough patch with loosing friends and dealing with a weird loneliness, but every time more drama would happen, this song would come on the radio or on my shuffle. Granted, this song is about Halsey and G-Eazy's relationship, I love the fact that she writes it in a way that can be interpretive for every person. I have to say this is one of my top three on the album and I am planning on getting the title tattooed. I love the strength showed through this song alongside the pain. I love the self-recognition that she puts in the song. She knows the effort she put into this relationship and she doesn't let anyone forget that effort either. My favorite line would have to be, "You know I'm the one who put you up there. Name in the sky. Does it ever get lonely? Thinking you could live without me..."Hands-down one of Halsey's best songs ever!

Finally // beautiful stranger

This song and music video gives me massive Dolly Parton vibes, and I don't know why. Perhaps it's the guitar strap. Either way, this song is absolutely beautiful. Halsey has said many times that this is her 'wedding song' and while she may be joking, this is officially on my wedding playlist. It might even be my first dance one day, who knows. This is hands down one of the most beautiful and heartfelt songs that Ashley has ever written. It really lets her natural talent shine through, as well.

Alanis' Interlude

Oh the bisexual queen anthem! I will never get over this song! First, we have Alanis Morissette on this track. And some of those lines! Incredible!

1. "Cause your pussy is a wonderland / And I could be a better man / It doesn't matter to me."

2. "Cause he is she is her / And her and he are love / And I have never felt the difference / Tirin' all these labels."

3. "And my girl, she always wore a skirt in the classroom / Satin' my dessert in the bathroom / Can't get caught, so we stiller than a statue."

These three moments in the song are almost chilling! I just absolutely adore this song and I don't think I need to explain why.

killing boys

I love the intro to this song! I also really like a lot of the lines, especially, "Climb up to the window and I'm breaking the glass / Then I stop 'cause I don't wanna Uma Thurman your ass." I love when Halsey adds things into her songs thatr speak to her personality.

SUGA's Interlude

As a massive BTS fan I really loved that Halsey asked Suga to feature on this song. I also love how she included the Korean. Not many American artists would feature a Korean artist on their album and have them speak in Korean for the whole song. This is such a bold move and I adore the entire song.

More

I love this song and I get goose bumps every time I hear it! It's about having children and it's such a beautiful representation of the things Ashley has gone through in her life. I also love the end when it sounds like a sonogram. Such an amazing song.

Still Learning

I love the meaning of the song, despite that I don't love it. I am very proud of Ashley for loving herself and still moving through the journey of total self love. I also am glad she wrote a song about this. I think it speaks a lot to me on that level.

929

This is probably one of my favorite songs on the album. I think it really shows Ashley's personality and the struggles she has faced in life. I think it shows some of her most deepest thoughts and feelings in such a beautiful way. It's so raw and I just really adore this song.

I'm Not Mad

So this song is nowhere to be found on YouTube, which is interesting since it is a bonus track on the album. Regardless, I love this song! I think it's a great way to wrap up the album. It's like she's saying "I went through all of this, but I'm over it now, I'm not mad anymore." I also really love the music in this song as well.

Overall, Manic is Halsey's best album and is truly a masterpiece. I can't wait to listen to it everyday for the next six months.